Oman has a unique mixture of different cultures, heritage and artistic tastes born of interacting with nations around the world. If you want to learn more about who’s who in the world of Omani music, take a look at our pick of the top Omani musicians who will help you enjoy this traditional and global mixture of amazing music.
Salim Rashid Suri
Also known as ‘the singing sailor’, Salim Rashid Suri is considered to be something of a musical legend in Oman. His is the exceptional story of a traditional young Omani voice that came from roaming the Indian Ocean and the Arabian Gulf. In his twenties, Suri was a sailor working on ships that traveled for trade between Oman and the Gulf countries, India, East Africa, Kuwait and Iraq. On board, he would hear rhythms and accents of people from diverse nations. He was specifically attracted to the voice and style of Abdullatif Al Kuwaiti, who was a famous singer in Baghdad. He used to listen to Al Kuwaiti from gramophone recordings.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Al Suri then settled down in India, and started developing his skills in music by mixing Arabic with Indian styles. The lyrics of his songs also mixed both Urdu and Arabic languages. In the early 1930s, he had around 12 gramophone records, which granted him fame and respect in India and the Arab world. He became a consultant of Sultan Qaboos for cultural affairs when he returned to his country in 1971. He died in 1979, leaving a golden reputation and a majestic trademark in the prominent music genre of Sowt al-Khaleej (‘Voice of the Gulf’).
Asma Mohammed Rafi
Asma Mohammed Rafi is a member of an exceptional musical family that enjoyed music from both Arabic and Indian cultures. She is the daughter of Mohammed Rafi, a famous singer, who discovered her talent as he used to take her with him to the recording studio. She was also encouraged and supported by Dr. Sanjay Dalal, who was the man behind a famous talent program called Talent Hunters Oman. She became a sensation in India and impressed the audiences with her confidence and strong presence on stage. When Asma returned to Oman, she performed in different singing gigs on local shows, and worked as a judge in different talent programs.
Haitham Mohammed Rafi
Haitham Mohammed Rafi is another amazing musical talent from the Rafi family, and the younger brother of Asma Mohammed Rafi. He started in the musical career by singing to his family, who encouraged him to keep practising and to believe in his talent. Then, he met Dr. Sanjay Dalal, who helped him joining Dil Hai Hindustani, one of the top reality talent shows in India. Despite the fact that the competition is mainly Indian language based, Haitham won the top prize of the show, surprising India and Oman.
Salah Al Zadjali
Salah Al Zadjali is one of the top amazingly talented Omani musicians and singers, and the owner of the Musicology record label. He is known for the unique blend that he creates in his songs, mixing traditional Omani music with the amazing Swahili music of Zanzibar in eastern Africa. His songs are widely known as following the pop style genre, which is newly and increasingly spreading across the Arab world. Salah is admired for his incredible singing and music abilities, and his great efforts to improve Khaleeji music (music of the Gulf region).
Sham Maskari is the stage name of Hisham Maskari, an Omani rapper, singer and songwriter. He is the first Arabic rapper to launch his album and to sign with Tale Music Group, which is a US-based publishing and distribution company. He started writing songs and participating in musical competitions at the age of 15. Then, after college, he appeared on the musical scene in Malaysia before he relocated to Britain, his mother’s country. Sham’s first single, reached number one on Radio One’s top playlist, and his song ‘One and Only’ reached number one on MTV Asia/Arabia in 2008.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.