Oman is one of these rare countries that makes you feel home when you arrive. Whether you have lived there for years or even just a few days, the people’s friendliness, the kind atmosphere and generous culture will make you feel like you belong. To prove this point, here are the most precious things that people usually miss when they leave Oman.
Omanis kind hearts
Omani people treat visitors like family. They invite them to their houses, give them some of the most delicious Omani food and ask about their wellbeing. Omanis also help in hard times and join in celebrations. Whether visitors stay for years or even one week, Omanis welcome them warmly and try to make them have a pleasant visit to their country. That’s why, the Omani people and their kind hearts are one of the main things that people miss when they leave.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Peacefulness of Oman
Through its natural beauty and the simplicity of its towns, Oman is a perfect escape from all the sophisticated lives, buildings and noise of many of the other modern countries. Life is slower in Oman so visitors feel they have time to relax and to sort out their minds or think about their problems. The surrounding nature and calmness of the country gives people peace and quietness to enjoy their stay; something they miss when they leave.
The scent of frankincense
Frankincense used to be the precious gift that was given to kings and royalty around the world. Its essence would purify temples, mosques and sacred places. It was also believed to cure from some diseases. Although visitors can take some frankincense back home, they miss the frankincense smell that is in every Omani house and which sometimes fills the roads and areas around.
The mouthwatering dates
Almost every house in Oman has its own date farm. Omanis either eat them fresh or dry them and produce date honey. Their mouthwatering and sweet taste distinguishes them from other types of dates of the Arab Peninsula.
The architectural beauty
The unique Omani culture and heritage is also reflected in its spectacular architecture. This is clearly seen in its magnificent forts and castles, its wonderful mosques, and even in the simplicity of its houses. From the Arabic calligraphy engraved on the walls, to the unique Islamic and Arabic decorations, Omani architecture is one of a kind.
The magnificent mountains
Oman is the land of the mountains. Everywhere people go, there is a piece of mountain. It is an essential, unique part of Oman’s nature beauty and part of the people’s culture, as they have adapted to living on them and prepare their rocky ground for farming. With their variety of colors, and interesting rocky formations, the Omani mountains have a rare and unique beauty.
The charming beaches
Oman’s beaches offer visitors white or golden sands, crystal clear or turquoise waters, beautiful and unique sea creatures, and clear blue skies. These beaches are usually surrounded by marvelous mountains and shaded by high fruity palm trees. This mind-blowing natural mix is rarely found in any other country but Oman.
The ancient forts
Oman is full of forts and castles. They are a complete mind-blowing walk through the splendid Omani heritage, knowledge, achievements and culture. This rich history is something to be deeply missed when people move away from Oman.
The traditional dances
Omani people have their own folklore and dances that reflect their culture and traditions. They enjoy performing these dances during social events like weddings and following new births, as well as on national occasions like Oman’s National Day and Sultan Qaboos’s birthday. Men and women who perform these dances usually wear traditional outfits and men wear the khanjar in belts around their waists.
The natural beauty
Oman is surrounded by natural beauty in every corner of its lands. From the magnificent mountains, to the green wadis, the crystal waters, the unique rocky formations, the charming beaches, the marvelous islands and the rare plants and trees. Oman is a perfect escape for all nature lovers.
The sense of adventure and exploration
Oman is one of the best destinations for adventure seekers. It offers hiking and rock-climbing through its various mountains and wadis. It offers horse and camel racing as well as ship racing through the different competitions that it organizes. It gives swimmers, divers and snorkelers all the beautiful beaches, crystal waters and amazing sea creatures that they dream about. It also satisfies campers and adventure seekers with the deserts, sand dunes and caves that they need. Whatever explorers look for, Oman has everything they need.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.