The ancient city of Byblos is a popular seaside holiday spot and therefore home to a slew of excellent accommodation options. From cosy guesthouses to amenity-packed resorts and one of the best boutique hotels in Lebanon, here’s our pick.
Perched on a sun-soaked corner of the Mediterranean Sea, Byblos plays a major role in the region’s history. Indeed, it’s one of the oldest continually inhabited towns in the world, once home to ancient Greeks and Romans. These days, visitors come to wander its Unesco-listed ruins – the remains of successive civilisations – and relax on its quaint strip of beach. And as for accommodation? Whether you want a historic haunt with original features, a wallet-friendly stay or a seaside resort that lets you stretch out by a pool, you’ll be satisfied here.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With classic golden-hued rooms looking out to the surf, Byblos Sur Mer is so close to the Mediterranean Sea that it feels like you could dip a toe into the water from your bedroom. Gaze out to its lick of white-sand beach, then dine on gourmet Lebanese classics at the on-site restaurant, Masa, with glass floors looking down to Byzantine ruins below. Save time to take in the various historical features on display, from pottery fragments to an Ottoman-era well.
It may be a five-minute walk from the epic ancient ruins of Byblos, but the Aleph Boutique Hotel in Lebanon channels a fresh modern vibe. Its slick rooms dressed in crisp whites, with the occasional pop of colour via a statement wall, come with minibars. The hotel also has laundry services and a rooftop restaurant dishing up grilled calamari and fresh salads. If you book a room with a jacuzzi tub, you can have a muscle-melting soak overlooking one of the oldest settlements in the world.
With its imposing columned exterior, the Monoberge Hotel channels some of the age-old grandeur of the Byblos ruins. Inside, things are more contemporary, with jacuzzis overlooking both the city and sea and splashes of colour coming from the curtains and rugs. A meeting room makes it a natural pick for business travellers, but the included breakfast buffet – a spread featuring local cheeses, meats and olives – will suit everyone from couples to families. A cosy bar area is a handy spot for a beer or an afternoon coffee.
If your primary motivation for coming to Byblos is the sun and sea, the Ocean Blue Resort is the pick for you. It offers beachy living in spades, thanks to cushy loungers perched right on the sand, and there’s a glassy, greenery-fringed infinity pool, too, and several outdoor restaurant spaces that put the surf front and centre. Families love it here, not least for the dedicated children’s playground with a ball pit and a basketball net.
Beachside chill-out sessions meet proper pampering at Eddésands, the perfect spot for couples looking for a feel-good romantic break in the Lebanese sunshine. Spend mornings in yoga classes in a shady outdoor pavilion, afternoons getting your muscle knots worked out at the éTropical Spa and evenings chowing down on vegetable-packed detoxifying meals designed by an in-house nutritionist. Private cabanas for hire and rosé-soaked dinners on the sand let you escape for moments à deux.
From the illuminated, stony checkin desk and statement lobby chandelier to the rooms dressed in warm woods and juicy pops of colour, the Maximus Hotel wouldn’t look out of place in a big city. Even the gym, decked out with the latest equipment, and the spa – complete with a sauna and a steam room – focus on contemporary comforts, despite the age-old locale. When evening falls, and you’ve finished dinner on the terrace, retire to the atmospheric Cigar Lounge for a nightcap.
Byblos isn’t only about its ruins and beach. The throwback souk is a must-visit for its cobbled streets bursting with clothing, trinkets and crafts, and the Byblos Guest House places you right by it. Homely but stylish decor – whitewashed walls and colourful pops of art and bedspreads – join with friendly staff to give you a more local, personal experience than you get at even some boutique hotels in Lebanon. Too tired to head out for dinner? There’s an on-site restaurant, too.
Some rooms, painted in soft blues, at the Byblos Palace Hotel reflect the Mediterranean Sea views that shimmer just right outside its windows. But when you need a refreshing dip, you don’t have to go down to the beach – the on-site pool is a dreamy place for cooling off. In the morning, after enjoying the complimentary breakfast, head off to explore the must-see ruins.
For more incredible accommodation options, read our guide to beach resorts in Lebanon. Stuck on where to go? Try our guide to Lebanon and what not to miss when you’re there.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.