Jordan’s capital is no stranger to fine dining, with a plethora of restaurants from which to savor cultural delicacies. From traditional Jordanian fare to gourmet steak houses, this city of four million caters to every culinary desire imaginable. Here we walk you through the best restaurants in Amman.
The multi-award winning Lebanese restaurant Fakhr el-Din is a popular spot for members of Amman’s high society, offering excellent quality food and service. Occupying a renovated traditional style house in the city’s 1st Circle, you will experience a tangible sense of living in the past as you dine in style. Famed for its wide range of authentic mezze, connoisseurs of Lebanese cuisine won’t leave disappointed. Arak and/or shisha make for the perfect post-dinner treat.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Brisket barbecue restaurant is home to internationally acclaimed meat dishes, and arguably boasts the most succulent, tender burgers in the entire Middle East. Every type of meat cut imaginable is served up and cooked to perfection here, from steaks to wings to brisket itself; the smoked beef ribs are especially tantalizing. Truly mouth-watering and unforgettable, meat lovers will rejoice at the variety of choice.
One of Amman’s oldest and best-loved restaurants, Hashem is a simple bistro revered for its wholesome, good quality grub. A set menu of traditional Jordanian fare is what’s on offer, which features – by common consensus – some of the best falafel in the country. Located in the capital’s bustling downtown area, the basic furnishings complement a richness of experience and flavour that’s second to none. Few places in the city are so effortlessly authentic as Hashem.
Located in Rainbow Street, Sufra offers its clientele traditional Jordanian fare in the most exquisite of settings. Beautifully furnished, the restaurant is light and airy, with options to sit outside or on the rooftop, which boasts some exceptional views of the city. Helpful staff and delicious freshly cooked bread are but two small examples of the many ways in which Sufra goes the extra mile to provide the perfect setting for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
The best place in town for shawarma, Reems is celebrated city-wide for its delectable take-away offerings. This roadside store is cramped and often has queues going out the door – a testament to the lengths that regulars will go to to sate their cravings. Located in the 2nd Circle, Reems is open until late and is a must try for anyone before leaving Amman.
The beautifully historic setting of Kan Zaman is enough to merit your visit. Located in an old Ammani residence, the stunning brick archways and vaulted ceilings create an ambiance like no other. Recently renovated, the service is professional and attentive, and the menu offers a good range of Lebanese-style cuisine. The mezze is varied and filling, and the selection of traditional desserts will prove irresistible to those with a sweet tooth. Outdoor seating is also available, and tasteful traditional music often plays in the background.
Bab al-Yeman is the number one spot for sampling Yemeni food in the city. With its generous portions, your plate will be laden with mixed meats doused in Yemeni spices, accompanied by a mouth-watering selection of yoghurts, breads, and dips. You won’t find a better mandi (a spicy meat and rice dish) in all of Jordan. They also do delivery.
Located in the cosy Jabal al-Weibdeh district, Rakwet Arab is a relaxing venue for food, drinks, and for smoking shisha. Tastefully decorated, the soft lighting and traditional tile-work make for an agreeable atmosphere in which to while away an afternoon with a cup of tea in the company of a good book. The chefs serve up tasty, local fare, best consumed in the cafe-restaurant’s leafy, shaded courtyard. Reasonably priced and rightfully popular, Rakwet Arab is an oasis of calm that offers a moment of respite from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Falafel Al Quds
The best value meal you’ll find in all of Amman, Falafel Al Quds will serve you up an unquestionably delicious falafel sandwich for the bargain price of half a dinar. An Ammani institution, located in the heart of Rainbow Street, this quick eatery is understandably popular among falafel lovers. No frills and no nonsense, many customers swear it’s the best meal they’ve ever had. The usual array of soft drinks are available to complement your meal.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.