Jonathan Saunders is the type of fashion designer whose work leaves a lasting impression. A true creative and visionary, Saunders has been an integral part of the London fashion scene since the launch of his eponymous label in 2003. From innovation and collaborations to patterns, craftsmanship and a glistening new fashion role, here Culture Trip reveals all you need to know about another one of Scotland’s stars, Jonathan Saunders.
He Always Stood Out From The Crowd
Glasgow-born Saunders first graduated from the Glasgow School of Art with a BA in printed textiles before getting his MA with distinction in the same field at Central Saint Martins College of Art And Design. Inspired by the legendary Yellow Submarine album cover by The Beatles, his graduate collection garnered praise and won him the 2002 Lancôme Colour Award. Immediately after, the one and only Alexander McQueen commissioned Saunders to design prints for his 2003 collection; what emerged was a fabulous bird of paradise themed work of art.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Saunders Is A True Master Of His Craft
Examine any aspect of Saunder’s work and note that he is a master of his craft. Most notably, his innovative approach towards print, pattern and craftsmanship secures his name as a design guru. Every thread, color and stitch is meticulously planned out, and it shows in the quality of his work. Clearly, Saunders knows the industry inside out and uses this knowledge as his secret power. After all, the man can mix colors and patterns that simply shouldn’t mesh well, and miraculously transforms them into something exquisite.
Silk Screening Is Second Nature To Saunders
Saunders is a traditionalist when it comes to exercising his craft. Trained in the art of silk screening, he uses traditional techniques on fabrics. This specific technique adds extra depth to his collections and truly enables his clothes to spring to life. Known for his linear prints and bursts of color, Saunders has always been an expert when it comes to prints that pop.
Look at his 2012 collaboration with sculptor Jess Flood-Paddock where a leviathan polypropylene installation was the focus; part of Britain Creates 2012: Fashion + Art Collusion, the installation was shown at the V&A and featured 200 silk screen prints by Saunders. The prints were created by Saunders throwing his jumper and printing with a vast sweep, which resulted in a magnificent conglomeration of prints. The installation was riddled with social commentaries from both Paddock-Flood and Saunders, and displayed a captivating array of colors.
He Is A Dab Hand When It Comes To Staples And Separates
A deftly skilled wizard of fashion, Saunders never fails to satisfy with his collections of separates and wardrobe staples. After all, he has an uncanny ability of creating separates that stand out from the crowd yet mesh in perfect harmony with the rest of the collection. It is no surprise that a myriad of his collections have graced the covers of British Vogue and are a firm favorite amongst the likes of Sienna Miller, Michelle Obama and Madonna, to name just a few.
Saunders Blinded Fashion Folk With A Dazzling Eyewear Line
As if Saunders’ ready-to-wear collections were not epic enough, the rock star went and conjured up show stopping eyewear line in 2014. Jonathan Saunders Eyewear undeniably caused a scene and blinded fashion followers worldwide with his stunning selection of glamorous glasses.
The Man Has Won Many An Award
From winning British Designer Of The Year at the Elle Style Awards in 2007 and being bestowed with the British Fashion Award in Emerging Talent for Menswear in 2012, Saunders has countless accolades under his classic leather belt.
For Saunders, Fashion Is A Star-Studded Affair
From his admirable work ethic and insistence on innovation to his deftly skilled design abilities, it is no surprise that Saunders has encountered numerous collaborations. From the get go, he had the honor of working with Alexander McQueen. Once more, he has also consulted for Christian Lacroix at Pucci, Phoebe Philo at Chloé and Paul Smith. Saunders has also designed for major high street retailers such as Topshop, Debenhams and Target.
However, his collaborations aren’t confined to fashion — Saunders has merged with artists, interior companies, sculptors, filmmakers, dancers and choreographers alike. Saunders, who has an intrinsic knack for having a myriad of projects on the go, is forever flexing his creative muscle. His film, Jumper, which marks the 10-year anniversary of his brand, is a collaboration with filmmaker Justin Anderson and a surrealist discourse about the confines of social constructions.
2016 Marked His New Role As Chief Creative Officer Of DVF
During the latter part of 2015, Saunders announced the closure of his eponymous label. Disproving speculation that he would lend his creative eye to Dior, Saunders stepped into the world of design queen Diane Von Furstenberg as Chief Creative Officer of DVF. Furstenberg, who is known for developing the world famous wrap dress, chose Saunders for his ineffable attention to craftsmanship, love of prints and color and extensive knowledge of the industry. A perfect union of two of fashion’s most talented and pioneering creatives, Saunders is over the moon with the task of carrying Furstenberg’s iconic and immortal DVF label into the future.
Saunders Isn’t Just A One Trick Pony
Saunders may be many things — all of which immensely positive — and yet one thing he certainly isn’t is a one trick pony. Unknown to many, this renowned designer also happens to dabble in furniture design. With a factory in Italy and another in Slovenia, there is no telling what this guy will do next. A stickler for craftsmanship, design in every sense of the word and innovative creations, Saunders is irrevocably in a league of his own.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.