Home to a population of just less than 100, the Isle of Eigg, Britain’s most eco-friendly island, is a world leader in the art of sustainable energy. And yet, this breath-taking place of verdant splendour conceals a past as tumultuous as the waters that trace it. At one time, giant warrior women were said to roam this tiny unsuspecting island of Scotland.
Long before it was nicknamed the Isle of Flowers by naturalists, Eigg was known in Gaelic as Eilean Nimban More, or the Island of the Powerful Women, until the 16th century. Archaeological evidence shows that Eigg hosted humans as early on as the Neolithic era, but fortification occurred around the end of the Iron Age. One such fort stood on a natural island at Loch nam Ban Mora, or the Loch of the Big Women, where it is said that abnormally large women resided.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Whether these women were warriors is up for debate. However, women play an important role in the history of St Donnan, the patron saint of Eigg, who ventured to the island with high hopes of salvation for all. A man with a mission, St Donnan was an Irish missionary and priest who landed on Eigg to spread the Christian word of the Gospel to the Picts. He founded a monastery on the island and established a community with his followers, which allegedly grew into a group of around 52 monks.
All was well, until one day in 617AD. As one story goes, during mass, a horde of female bandits barged into the church with a murderous look in their eyes. It is said that St Donnan requested to be killed after worship was over, to which the women agreed. When the words of the last prayer resonated throughout the holy building, St Donnan and his men were slaughtered and beheaded one by one in what can only be described as a brutal bloodbath.
Some stories state that pirates did the dastardly deed, and others claim it was a Pictish Queen with an intense disdain for the Christian faith. Another account explains how a wealthy woman hired bandits to kill the men because St Donnan built his monastery on the same land where her sheep grazed.
The more popular version, however, points the finger at the ‘large, powerful warrior women’ who lived on the Sgurr, the menacing lump of quartzite famed as the largest pitchstone ridge in Europe. In this particular tale, legend has it that the bodies of the newly deceased were buried and subsequently burned.
However, after their martyrdom, the women were fixated by a flurry of unworldly lights flickering above the patch where the dead men were. Stunned and curious, they followed this anomaly until they reached the Sgurr, where the beguiling lights continued to woo the warrior women as they waded deeper and deeper into the Loch of the Big Women, eventually going so far that they drowned and died.
Although many versions of the legend exist, there’s no denying the presence of strong, powerful and large female figures throughout Eigg’s history and folklore.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.