At around five miles long and three miles wide, the Isle of Eigg is a bite-sized slice of paradise on earth. With a population of about 100, this small Hebridean island, which is pronounced ‘egg’, is community owned by the Isle of Eigg Heritage Trust. Aside from the breathtaking natural beauty, gripping history, humbling views and enchanting singing sands, Eigg takes the crown as the most eco-friendly island in the UK — a testament to the people, or ‘Eiggers’, as they’re called. Get off the grid and discover why Eigg is a bucket-list worthy jewel of Scotland.
Eigg’s Green Credentials Are A Shining Example Of Sustainable Living
In what can only be described as a harmonious balancing act of sun, wind, water and innovation, islanders on Eigg have mastered the art of true sustainable living through producing practically all of their own electricity and power. Rather than being connected to a mainland electricity supply, Eiggers rely upon the world’s very first grid operated by the renewable sources of solar, hydroelectric and wind. Thanks to Eigg Electric LTD, which is owned, maintained and run by Eiggers, the island community waved farewell to unappealing diesel generators in 2008, and ushered in clean, affordable and reliable power available 24/7.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Views Atop An Sgùrr Are That Of Another Planet
As Europe’s largest pitchstone ridge, the mighty An Sgùrr is a brooding lump of volcanic glass graced with sublime views across the other Small Isles, Skye and Ardnamurchan. This dramatic hill has embellished Eigg’s skyline for millions of years and boasts a mile-long ridge. Although a steep climb and rather rocky scramble, An Sgùrr holds the key to an otherworldly panorama.
The Sands That Sing To Your Soul
Like nowhere else on earth, Eigg’s beaches are second to none, from the vast expanse of white Atlantic beach that is Laig Bay to ancient beaches punctuated with a network of glistening rock pools and unworldly rock formations. The star of the show, however, is the Singing Sands Beach. With each footstep and uncoordinated movement, the quartz adorned sand expresses its sentience with a rebuttal of magical songs and soul gripping sounds set to make the mind reel.
Eigg Is Home To Some Of The Best Wildlife Watching In Scotland
The islanders of Eigg share their space with a vast array of wildlife. From July to September, minke whales are a common sight, just as numerous dolphin species and seals dot about on a regular basis. Basking sharks, killer whales and sunfish are also known to reveal themselves from time to time. The 212 bird species steal the show. And of course, the resident sheepdogs are always happy at work herding the sheep!
The Abundance Of Plant Life Would Make Anyone Green With Envy
The plant life on Eigg is a snapshot from a dream, hence why naturalists nicknamed it the Isle of Flowers. An understatement, to say the least! Awash with clans of wildflowers, willow and hazel scrub, enchanting woodland and arctic-alpines, this verdant island is a playground for Mother Nature. Home to 500 higher plant species and over 300 bryophytes, 20 of which are rather rare, Eigg is a horticultural hinterland of abundant beauty. Along with the bluebells, wild garlic, honeysuckle and enchanter’s nightshade, Eigg plays host to 12 species of orchids.
Eigg Is A Playground For Outdoor Enthusiasts
The kind of place you long to get lost in, Eigg speaks to outdoor lovers. Thanks to Eigg Adventures, people can explore every nook and cranny of the island, whether by foot, bike, kayak, boat or a guided tour from one of Eigg’s Scottish Wildlife Trust rangers. With the wind massaging your hair and the wisps of salty sea air caressing your face, exploring the diverse terrain — think hidden lochs, lochans, sands, leafy forests and craggy cliffs — is one for the bucket list. Boat trips to Rùm and Muck can also be arranged.
With a history as wild as the sea that surrounds it, whisperings of Eigg’s past are uttered wherever you go. The island is riddled with ancient forts, early Christian crosses, shielings, burial mounds and clearance ruins, each a reminder that Eigg has witnessed 8,000 years of human occupation. A poignant part of Scottish history, The Massacre Cave is embedded into the landscape, while the impressive network of Holy wells and standing stones lure those with a curious mind.
Eigg Is A Hotbed of Creativity
Forget the Scottish Enlightenment, the islanders on Eigg have enough innovation for the whole of Scotland and then some. Among the island’s residents are musicians, writers, filmmakers, photographers, craft workers and more. The fierce sense of community spirit and resilience is contagious and extends into ventures like the island’s own Lost Map record label, microbrewery, Laig Bay Brewing Co. (try the Independence! IPA and I Am The Eiggman) and The Bothy Project’s artist residency, Sweeney’s Bothy.
Because Waking Up On Eigg Is A Dream
Graced with the kind of views that spark the greatest stories, the kind that beg the eyes to stare a little longer, Eigg offers some truly memorable accommodation options. The traditional Shepherd’s Hut is a trip in itself, the Amazing Eigg Shed demonstrates some nifty design prowess and the architect designed eco cabin Sweeney’s Bothy is smothered in creative flair. The views from the Camping Pods are simply sublime.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.