Amidst the rainy grey of Glasgow, what better way to warm up than with a gourmet burger? With its beautiful architecture and cultural status, Glasgow is becoming the new hotspot for trendy, artistic types, who trawl the galleries and work up a discerning appetite. Step out of the Scottish cold and enjoy ten of the best independent burger restaurants in the city.
The Butterfly & the Pig
With its shabby chic interior and vintage charm, The Butterfly and the Pig has the relaxed feeling of good home cooking. With a menu that offers to ‘phone in a pizza… or make you something you want’ if their menu doesn’t take your fancy, no where else has such diversity and flexibility with bringing you what you want. The Butterfly and Piglet Burger contains good strong beef with a variety of cheese, space mayonnaise, bacon, egg, jalapeños and any other topping you can imagine. It arrives on vintage crockery with a mountain of chips – enough food to last the week.
A little different from the gourmet burgers of other Glasgow restaurants, Two Figs brings a classic beef burger with lettuce, tomato and dill pickle on a sesame seeded bun. While this may seem rather more subdued alongside the exotic creations of Bread Meats Bread, it is certainly the best value burger in Glasgow. At student friendly prices classic beef burger and veggie burger are a favourite amongst savvy westenders. Served with hand cut rosemary salted chips and garlic mayonnaise, Two Figs adds a touch of class to the traditional burger.
Two Figs, 9 Byres Road, Glasgow, Scotland, 0141 334 7277
Bread Meats Bread
The boy-meets-girl of the culinary world, Bread Meats Bread is the perfect romance of good honest food and contemporary creation. Their black, red and green label burgers embody dry-cured Scottish beef, Sichuan nduja pork sausage and falafel with options including garlic brioche, swiss cheese and tobacco onions. Perhaps the most exciting aspect of their menu are the enigmatically-named Cult Burgers. Made from Scotch beef, artisan breads and local ingredients, these are a homage to cult burgers from across the world. Part of an ever changing specials menu, you can go around the world in 80 burgers. Jules Verne would be proud.
Cocktail & Burger
Cocktail & Burger is that perfect blend of eating and drinking that is just what you want before a night out on the town. Choose from the 6oz Classic with any variation on the eight different topping available including Hickory Smoked Pastrami and Kopperberg Onions. Or maybe try some of their more quirky numbers such as Mexican Beandit, Knuckle Sandwich and Duck & Dive. For a match made in heaven, order the St Petersburger – classic beef, pastrami, grilled emental and Russian dressing – with a White/Black Russian chocolate cocktail?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Aberdeen Angus beef, three beef tomatoes, two onions, a pound of cheese and a giant bun comprise the aptly named Monster Burger at Ad Lib. Like an old fashioned American eating competition, the customer is given two hours to eat the entirety of burger – without leaving the table – and avoid the bill. If gargantuan burgers aren’t quite your thing, they serve a range of gourmet burgers inspired by world food including Jamaican, Indian and Moroccan varieties.
Ad Lib, 111 Hope Street, Glasgow, Scotland, 0141 248 6645
Located in a striking church conversion in the West End and filled with murals by Scottish artist Alasdair Gray, Oran Mor certainly makes an impact. While only serving three varieties of burger, Oran Mor is not among the most varied on our list. Whether you go for Scotch Steak, battered chicken breast or the best veggie-burger in Glasgow – flatcap mushroom, spiced chickpea and butterbean – Oran Mor deliver top quality ingredients in a cosy yet lively pub atmosphere.
Oran Mor, Byres Road, Glasgow, Scotland, 0141 357 6200
In the heart of Glasgow is the home of the legendary Lebowskis burger. Aged minced rump steak with a choice of ‘tats’ of skinny fries is what made them famous. Aside from this delicious meatiness there is also ‘The Vedgy Wedgy’ burger with enough goat’s cheese to feed Europe, and The Whale Burger containing fillets of the huge but locally sourced Shetland Coley, coated in craft ale batter.
Lebowskis, 1008 Argyle Street, Glasgow, Scotland, 0141 564 7988
The perfect summer spot, located beneath a bridge, nestled in the verdant Kelvinway beside the river, Inn Deep is Glasgow’s best kept secret. Taking the simple approach, their burger is DIY – choose from four choices of burger, including two vegetarian options, and add your combination of 20 choices of toppings to create the ideal burger to suit your taste whatever the weather. They also have 12 draft lines of beer and cider so you can find the perfect pint to accompany your creation.
Inn Deep, 445 Great Western Road, Glasgow, Scotland, 0141 357 1075
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.