New London fashion label, Palmier, launched in July 2018 and has already proven to be a favourite among the style set, with bloggers Lucy Williams and Lindsey Holland wearing its designs. Culture Trip gets the first ever interview with the design duo.
There’s something exciting about discovering a new fashion label before the rest of the world, and that’s exactly how Culture Trip feels about Palmier. Launched just a month ago by Tessa Holladay and Chloe Regan, it’s set to become the brand on every London girl’s wishlist.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Inspired by Australia’s relaxed, versatile approach to beach-to-city dressing but tired with the idea of waiting weeks for shipping, Holladay and Regan have brought the aesthetic to the UK and given it their own London-centric twist. “We only met a year ago,” Holladay says, “but we instantly recognised a shared love of Sydney-based labels like Posse and ST. AGNI. We were spending a fortune on shipping and import taxes or we were desperately trying to find the Zara equivalent. Our friends were having the same problem and this is what gave us the confidence that a brand like Palmier would work in the UK.”
The debut collection, which launched in July 2018, is comprised of eight linen pieces in a soft, dusky colour palette that’s easy to wear and reflects the designers’ personal style. “The Palmier girl is playful but stylish,” Regan says. “She wants to be ahead of the fashion game but not too avant garde in her choices. We’ve created something that she can dress up or down and that she feels equally as comfortable wearing at a rum bar in Barbados as she does to Annabel’s in West London.”
Quality of product is key to the design duo and they worked diligently to find the right fabric suppliers and factories. “Transparency in production is so important for us,” says Regan, an ex-brand manager for lingerie labels like Stella McCartney and Heidi Klum and a seasoned pro at working with manufacturers. “We spoke to about a hundred different companies before deciding on one based in Lithuania.”
“The woman who owns the factory is so lovely,” Holladay adds. “She really cares about what she’s making. We named the Aistė skirt after her as a thank you.” This naming process was applied to every piece in Palmier’s debut collection – a considered, personal touch. “It’s our way of celebrating the people who have helped us this past year,” Holladay says. “Whether it’s sisters acting as models or friends with photographer contacts, or our mums for their continued support.”
There is, of course, the Tessa playsuit and the Chloe dress, that are named after the founders themselves. “Those are the pieces that we really believed in,” Holladay explains, “but it’s been the Amanda top that has proven to be the most popular item so far.”
Perhaps it’s thanks to London-based blogger and editor Lucy Williams and her inclusion of the cross-back cropped design on her Instagram page, which at the time of writing has 357,000 followers. “It’s crazy to see our brand being worn by people we really admire,” Holladay says. “Chloe was on her honeymoon when Lucy posted that picture and our phones were going wild! We’ve had to order more from the factory.”
It’s testament to the power of social media and the ways in which small and emerging brands should be using it to launch. “For us it was crucial. The first thing we did was to contact bloggers and influencers who we thought would represent the brand well, but the collaborations had to feel natural – Lucy’s aesthetic, for example, fits in really well with our own.”
Now coming to the end of the summer, it’s time to cast thoughts ahead to autumn/winter designs. “We’re not going to just swap seasons because the rest of the industry is doing it,” Holladay says. “It seems crazy that the fashion calendar means it’s already time to start selling autumn/winter clothes in August. That’s not right for Palmier – we will make the change when it feels right.”
So what’s in store for the cooler months? “We’ll be experimenting with silk and creating pieces that can be styled with knitwear,” says Regan. “Keeping the Palmier aesthetic consistent is so important to us.”
To experience the brand for yourself, visit the Love Brands store, 170 Westbourne Grove, London W11 2RW between Monday, 13 August and Sunday, 19 August 2018.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.