London is a city of contrasts, and one of the most diverse and intriguing places on the planet. It also has some of the most beautiful neighbourhoods to be found in any city. Here are five of the best, filled with peaceful parks, jaw-dropping architecture, and local spots.
Set in the regal sounding ‘Royal Borough Of Kensington’, Holland Park looks like something out of a romantic London movie. Picture if you can Stucco-fronted buildings, mansion blocks, and a 54 acre park which hosts balloon rides in the summer. Between the affluent Notting Hill and Shepherd’s Bush, Holland Park is awash with chic cafés, high-end boutiques and streets with independent food sellers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This beautiful neighbourhood is located at the northern side of Regent’s Park in the borough of Camden. As the name suggests, it is a hill, and boasts some of the most incredible panoramic views to be enjoyed anywhere in central London. This successful, affluent urban suburb has a history linking it directly to Henry VIII. A real honey pot for those who are extremely well off but don’t fancy the pomposity and grandeur of West London, with the gorgeous Regent’s Canal and a collection of super snazzy bars restaurants and boutiques, it’s a place to see and be seen.
That Hampstead Heath is well known to have been an influence on C.S. Lewis when writing The Chronicles Of Narnia hints quite rightly at the beauty of the place. With 791 acres of heath and woodland, it is one of the city’s most popular outdoor spaces. Perfect for strolling around on a summer’s day or picnicking, jogging or cycling, the fantastic scenery, wildlife and facilities of the heath make it an incredibly sought after place to live near. Of course, this is reflected in property prices, so fingers crossed for that lottery win!
This fantastically tranquil neighbourhood feels as though it’s not part of London at all. The grand old buildings are frequently used as a backdrop for Hollywood movies, including Les Miserables. The enormous park and observatory are popular with tourists and locals alike looking to find an escape from the hustle and bustle of London life. A place for inspiration, you’ll also find the Cutty Sark and the music college here. It may be where we set our clocks to, but strolling around this peaceful area, it feels like time is standing still.
Once an industrial centre, with factories, warehouses and wharves aplenty, Bermondsey has evolved into a hub for creative start-ups and high-end urban living. Cutting edge commercial spaces and swish apartments, many of which are themselves developed in the shells of former industrial buildings, attract a young, stylish crowd. The ultra-cool Bermondsey Street offers bars and restaurants to fit all tastes and budgets. With great food, cool pubs, cute antiques markets and views of Tower Bridge and the Shard, Bermondsey is a very attractive prospect in more ways than one.
This laidback neighbourhood in South West London is characterised by simple but attractive Victorian townhouses and friendly local pubs. The area has become a magnet for young professionals wanting to make London their home without paying the premium of living in central London. Balham feels like a self-contained village, complete with its own shopping hub boasting independent bookshops and boutiques. It’s not all quiet and leafy suburbia: Balham’s nightlife is on the up and up, with live music and comedy at renowned local venues (we recommend The Bedford).
The tree-lined streets and Georgian town houses give a fantastically old style London feel to Highgate, like stepping into Mary Poppins. Next door to the aforementioned Hampstead Heath, Highgate has plenty to offer in terms of beautiful views and sights. A creative arts hub, Highgate is home to an artsy theatre kind of crowd, and Waterlow Park is 20 acres of paths, ponds, tennis courts and cafés. Of course you can’t hear Highgate without thinking of one of England’s most vast and fascinating cemeteries, of which Karl Marx is one of the deceased residents.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.