Cahoots in London’s Soho has expanded operations to a location opposite its popular ‘Underground’ late-night spot. Visitors to the retro-themed bar can now experience what it’s really like to step back in time and taste a slice of history.
Soho isn’t short on drinking spots. There are plenty of bars spread across this trendy part of central London, but there’s something special about how Cahoots fully commits to its theme. Cahoots Underground opened in 2015 and has become a popular bar that is pitched as an air raid shelter from World War II that has remained untouched in the decades since. There’s a train carriage in the “abandoned” station and plenty of time-appropriate trinkets and paraphernalia carefully placed around the venue.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The concept clearly works, with queues making walk-ins difficult to come by if you’re after a spur of the moment drink or two. Thankfully, Cahoots has now expanded to a new venue, and it’s only a few footsteps away from the original.
Charlie Gilkes, co-founder of Inception Group, the company behind Cahoots, says, “Building on the great success of the original Cahoots, we are so excited to be opening the Ticket Hall & Control Room next door, and look forward to welcoming guests into this 1940s-inspired train station-themed cocktail bar with lots of new immersive experiences and surprises in store.”
Cahoots Ticket Hall
If you make the journey from Cahoots Underground to Kingly Court Station – a fictitious destination on a trip that takes less time to complete than going from Covent Garden Station to Piccadilly Circus – you’ll find yourself in the vibrant Ticket Hall-inspired bar.
The overground bar is perfect for the supposed scoundrels at Cahoots to run their boozy side hustle. Vintage train schedules, phone booths and ticket machines take you back to the 1940s, with details like tobacco-stained ceilings making it all feel very real.
One of the big changes at the new Cahoots venue is the food menu. Divided into traditional British and American fare from the ’40s, you can choose from dishes such as fish finger sandwiches, chicken and waffles and sloppy joe buns. There’s also an all new cocktail line-up which includes a fancy Vera Lynn concoction and the stoic Winston Churchill tipple.
The Control Room
Heading down through a makeshift mine shaft – another layer of theatrics – you enter the Control Room area. Unlike the overground portion of Cahoots, this area requires reservations in advance but is well worth the effort.
Flashing lights adorn the walls and cosy booths are available for those looking for a more intimate experience. Exclusive highlights from the menu down here are the elaborate Dewars, Amontillado and rhubarb sherbet mixture called the Knob Twiddler, which is presented in a retro radio box that you have to “tune” to find the right frequency. It’s a show-stopper that fits in perfectly with the aesthetic of Cahoots. Another tempting cocktail is the Suspicious Activity. This ‘illicit’ drink is topped with an edible mint ice ball served out of a discreet waiter’s trench coat.
The Control Room also serves as an event space. There’s live music and planned quiz nights as well as the enticing sounding ‘Cahooch’ cocktail-making masterclass. True to form, there are neat touches and intricate details everywhere you look: think discarded suitcases and industrial-looking cogs and gages.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.