From the lycra-clad cyclist to the outer-borough homeowner in ‘up-and-coming’ Zone 98, our tech editor matches the Londoners you know and love with the must-have gifts of the season.
The City Cyclist
Risking life and limb just to avoid the 8am tube, the city cyclist can be found battling with an Uber in the bus lane. If you want them in one piece next Christmas, give the gift of safety this holiday season. The Hövding Airbag Helmet looks like a scarf but deploys into a shock-absorbent head airbag in the event of a crash. A little wild, but this person literally cycles on the streets of central London – they appreciate crazy.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Outer-Borough Homeowner
They’ve done the impossible – bought a place in London. Help them feel better about dropping half a million pounds in ‘up-and-coming’ Zone 98 by transforming their new pad into a smart-home. The voice-controlled Amazon Echo smart speaker plays music, makes to-do lists, sets alarms, streams podcasts, plays audiobooks and provides weather, traffic and other real-time information. It also works as a home automation hub, meaning your outer-borough friend isn’t just someone with with a two hour train journey – they’re a smart-home owner.
The much maligned hipster. Let’s face it – London wouldn’t be London without them. Beoplay’s H9 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones offer uncompromising sound quality (perfect for obscure bands), a bold, over-ear style that says ‘I don’t have time to talk to you, I’m busy being trendy’, and active-noise cancellation, so they can focus on the vegan startup they’re launching with their mates from the Hackney art collective.
The Harried Parent
The dream of being a parent is now the real-life nightmare of child rearing. This year, give the gift of silence. The iPad Pro 10.5″ can run a bajillion apps, stream videos and is guaranteed to keep the little ones occupied for at least half an hour. (Not really, obviously, but at least for a while.) A moment of peace – truly a gift for the whole family.
The City Slicker
The Google Home smart assistant is a natural choice for the City slicker who’s well-versed in the art of ordering around an assistant. Just say ‘OK Google’, and the device will tell you everything about your day, from meetings to flight times and more. The smart speaker and home automation hub gives proactive updates ahead of scheduled events and lets users add reminders and calendar appointments, meaning your high-flying City friend will never miss a meeting.
The Self-Employed Creative
They left their desk job for a life of ‘creative autonomy’ as a freelance graphic designer (or copy editor, or photographer, or whatever). Once dreaming of flexible hours in a trendy co-working collective, they now spend their days mainlining coffee in sweatpants from their living room couch. Feed their caffeine dependency with the Nespresso Vertuo Coffee Machine. The high-end device recognises Vertuoline coffee pods automatically, meaning more time for dealing with demanding clients, and less time programming the perfect cup.
Ah, student life. The best of times, the worst of times. Poor but happy, when life was simpler and partying ’til 6am several times a week felt like a good idea. Gift them the Instax Mini camera so they can instantly snap and print their memories into physical photos. If they’re dedicated to their smartphones, the HP Sprocket connects to any mobile to print stickable snapshots whenever the moment strikes.
The Football Fan
Go down the pub, find the football fanatic in your life and gift them the Xbox One X. A powerful console for immersive 4K gaming, they’ll go from shouting at the football match to shouting at the hyper-realistic football game they’re playing. The console can also play Blu-ray and stream video on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and more. Netflix’s latest football docu, anyone?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.