An app launched in June 2018 wants to solve the problem of restaurants wasting meals by connecting hungry consumers with food that would otherwise be thrown away.
It’s 6pm. You’ve just left work starving after a hard day, a tiring evening of going to the gym, meeting friends and feeding the cat ahead of you. Instead of running to a chain café to buy an overpriced coffee and snack, wouldn’t it be amazing if you could both save money and do your bit for the environment by ordering a sandwich that would otherwise be thrown away by a restaurant via an app?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
YumNow aims to give you exactly that option. Launched in June 2018, it takes a bold, multi-pronged approach to reducing food waste by giving restaurants a platform to sell surplus meals at flexible, reduced prices and allow them to plan demand for food ahead of time thanks to a pre-ordering function.
Roughly £13 billion of edible food is wasted every year in the UK. That’s 7.3 million tons, which is more than 100kg per person, or the equivalent or 3,476 London Eyes. Thirty percent of that waste comes from retailers and restaurants, and can be avoided if restaurants distribute their resources more efficiently.
YumNow is aiming to resolve the problem of restaurants having fixed menus, prices and delivery options, rendering them unable to react to short-term changes in demand. By listing excess food on the app at a price lower than it’s normally sold for, the restaurants are moving product that would otherwise be thrown away and are able to positively react to short term changes in demand for food. If the weather is bad, for instance, and fewer people are out buying sandwiches than normal, the excess food could be listed and ordered by customers hungry for a deal.
There are other apps on the market aiming to reduce food waste, such as Olio, which allows individuals to list their leftover food, and Karma, which gives restaurants and cafés a platform to upload information about excess food and customers can collect it. But YumNow is the only app which combines the three pillars of surplus food services, delivery services and the ability to pre-order food.
“It’s all about the visibility and flexibility,” YumNow founder Hendrik Buechner tells Culture Trip. “None of the services are new, but this is the first time they’ve been combined into one easily usable platform. It’s not just an issue of price and availability; it’s all about being conspicuous and adaptable – restaurants and customers need these options to solve the problem of leftover food.”
The 24-year-old founded the app after feeling guilty about his own food waste. “I took a gap year after my degree in economics at the University of Bristol to travel around South East Asia and America. I was on a bootstrap budget and couldn’t afford to eat out at face-value prices, so bought a lot of my food in supermarkets to save cash and would often have leftovers. You can’t take a full Tupperware on a cross-country bus trip, and I often ended up throwing the food away or just leaving it in the hostel. That’s where the idea of the app started, with my desire to repurpose food for other people.
“When I moved to London I started a job in investment banking and was working 16-hour days and eating at odd hours, with breakfast at 11am and dinner at midnight, and I couldn’t get the idea of a food repurposing app out of my head – so I quit my job to start it.
He’s passionate about saving the environment but is savvy enough to know that it won’t work without a commercial angle. “The environmental impact of the food industry is enormous. We’ve got the technology to solve it, but there’s been a lack of communication between the customer and the restaurants about how to solve the problem of food waste. YumNow is going to solve this issue and make it more transparent.
“We have almost tripled our user base since we announced the launch, we have more than 100 meals listed on the platform today and we have doubled the number of participating restaurants. We’re trying to solve restaurant food waste in London, and I believe that we’ll be able to.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.