Sportswear brand adidas is set to launch ‘Prouder’ ahead of London’s 2018 Pride parade. The campaign will celebrate unity and individuality with the ultimate aim of supporting LGBTQ+ youth. The man behind the plan is DJ Fat Tony, who has rallied the likes of Kate Moss, David Beckham, Marc Jacobs and Edward Enninful to contribute. Culture Trip caught up with him to find out what inspired the idea and what it represents.
‘I’ve been buying adidas trainers for years and I’ve always had a working relationship with the brand,’ Fat Tony tells Culture Trip, ‘but I kept telling them that they needed to bridge the gap between the sports youth community and the indie gig scene. There’s nothing for the people between.’
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Prouder, the 2018 campaign, hopes to build that bridge. Launching in time for London Pride, with a float in the parade and a pop-up exhibition in Soho, it’s a celebration of individuality and of what makes people proud today. A group of 37 celebrities, including Kate Moss, Edward Enniful, Goldie and The Petshop Boys, have designed their own adidas Samba trainers and the result is a series of personalised artwork.
‘This is about being inclusive and celebrating people for who they are,’ Tony says. ‘The Petshop Boys’ shoes are completely covered in mirrors to look like two disco balls and Kate Moss took inspiration from Cinderella’s glass slipper, which I think pretty much sums up her youth,’ he laughs ‘…coming home from a night out with one shoe.’
But what makes fashion the right medium for the message? ‘Fashion is an art form and it’s a way of celebrating diversity, which is what Pride and Prouder are both about. My entire circle of friends went on to work in fashion, so what we wore to the parade was always a consideration,’ Fat Tony tells Culture Trip, remembering his first Pride outfit: white denim cut-off shorts and a matching jacket (‘It was the eighties!’).
But Fat Tony wants to stress that Pride isn’t just about what you wear, it’s about music, art and inclusivity as well. ‘Without the LGBTQ+ [community], fashion would be boring, but it’s more about action than fashion.’
The shoes in the Prouder collection, which will be exhibited at the HENI Gallery in Soho during London Pride Week, are set to become collector items. They will be auctioned off and proceeds will go to The Albert Kennedy Trust, a LGBTQ+ youth homelessness charity. New Order have created concrete sculptures in a rainbow of colours and Bella Freud cut her pair up, rearranging the pieces to spell the word SEX and framing them as a piece of wall art.
A supporting film by Nick Knight’s SHOWstudio features the Prouder campaign celebrities speaking about their first pair of adidas trainers and the pride that came with owning them. They go on to share their thoughts on what sparks that kind of feeling today.
When asked what makes him proud, Fat Tony answers: ‘Being clean. I’m 11 years sober and I have the time now to dedicate to other people. This doesn’t have to be about Pride per-se, it can be anything.’
Prouder is first and foremost a charity project to support The Albert Kennedy Trust, an organisation that the DJ describes as helping him through ‘a darker time’. That said, it’s little wonder that, when Fat Tony delved into his black book of celebrity contacts, it wasn’t hard to find recruits.
‘David Beckham was the first person I called and he said yes straight away, then Boy George. I wanted to prove a point,’ he says. ‘There’s been such positive feedback that I want to expand globally. There’s still a really long way to go but we’re getting there. The slogan, LGBTQ+, is getting more and more letters added to it and that’s great. Pride is a chance for us to say “this is who we are and we’re not going anywhere.” I’d love to tour in Paris and New York with Prouder and then who knows? I’ll design a pair myself next year.’
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.