For young people from small communities, big cities can be full of excitement, opportunity and adventure. But what is left behind for the glamour of the city, and what happens when that glamour wears off? The Buddug James Jones Collective’s latest show Hiraeth explores the truth of rural depopulation in Wales and the irresistible call of home.
There’s no doubt about it – rural communities are quickly shrinking. Young people are leaving their hometowns in droves to seek employment, education and the kind of opportunities that were denied to their parents a generation before. This phenomenon of rural depopulation has been seen across the world and history, from the Industrial Revolution in 18th century Britain to the Great Migration in the United States and the mass urbanisation currently occurring in China. Throughout time, people have always gone looking for better.
The recent wave of rural depopulation in the UK has been much studied and discussed over the past decade. Factors such as fewer job opportunities, declining industries and higher unemployment rates drive many young people to leave the place where they grew up, and where many generations of their families have lived before them, to move to the cities.
Hiraeth is a show about a young woman from rural Wales who decides to do just that. Buddug James Jones is the daughter of farmers, themselves the children of farmers. Buddug can trace her family’s lineage back through five generations on both sides, sharing stories of the lives of her great-grandparents and illustrating the importance of community in a small town like her ancestral home, Newcastle Emlyn. For Buddug, as for many other young people, the decision to up sticks and leave the family farm is not an easy one to make. For someone from a close-knit community where everyone knows your name, the anonymity of cities can be as lonely as it is liberating.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hiraeth and The Buddug James Jones Collective is striking chords across the UK. The show was awarded the Wales Theatre Awards Best Production in the English Language, and the Ideastap Underbelly Award 2014, as well as four- and five-star reviews from major national publications including The Evening Standard, The Telegraph, The Times and The Scotsman. Their run at The Underbelly at last year’s Edinburgh Fringe sold out, and they completed a successful run at the Soho Theatre before embarking on a national tour.
The show is charming and emotive, with the audience laughing and crying alongside Buddug and her co-star Max Mackintosh throughout the whirlwind hour. James Jones plays herself, while Mackintosh brings to life with impressive energy every other character Buddug encounters on her journey from Welsh countryside to London’s urban jungle. There are woolly jumpers, toy tractors and Welsh cakes, as well as a few other surprises. The show is accompanied by Mackintosh on guitar and his mate David Grubb on the fiddle, and the trio fill the stage with their energy and enthusiasm.
Hiraeth is a Welsh word that means an intense longing and nostalgia; a homesickness that cuts to the bone. To head off in search of new opportunities is not necessarily to reject where you come from, and when the culture shock of a big city gets to be too much, home can feel like a world away. This is a story about that homesickness and a piece of theatre that will revive it: a funny, touching show that evokes excitement for the unknown and nostalgia for homes left behind. It will resonate with anyone who has left in search of something better, and anyone who has ever missed the green green grass of home.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.