F45, an Australian-born training programme with a focus on high-intensity sessions, is one of fastest-growing fitness franchises in the world. In the space of a year, 24 studios have opened in London alone. But does it run the risk of becoming another fad? Culture Trip speaks to a London-based F45 trainer, as well as the company’s CEO, to discover more about this global fitness craze.
Hot, sweaty and high on endorphins. F45 classes – some of which are said to burn 1,000 calories in 45 minutes – leave devotees dripping with the fruits of their labour.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A mix of strength training and cardio, the F in F45 stands for ‘functional training’: exercises that mimic or recreate everyday movement (think lifting, squatting, jumping, rowing and biking) to build strength and make the body more efficient. But unlike a traditional gym session, you’ll never do the same routine twice. Experts at F45 headquarters release fresh routines every four to five weeks, and there are currently around 3,500 exercises in their encyclopaedia. This means they can create a range of classes suitable for everyone, from total beginners to seasoned pros.
The F45 scene in London is booming. There are currently 24 studios across the UK’s capital, and plans to open at least 20 more over the next year, bringing the F45 workout to every corner of the city.
So, why does it appeal to fast-paced, results-seeking Londoners? “Every day at F45 is different,” says CEO Rob Deutsch, a former equities trader from Western Australia who co-founded the brand in 2012. “Classes are designed to constantly challenge and motivate. You’ll never get bored – that’s part of the appeal.”
While F45-ers are encouraged to train at their own pace and work towards individual goals, one of the reasons F45 (and indeed any form of heart-raising exercise) is so effective is the focus on intensity.
The style of training, known as high-intensity interval training (HIIT), has been proven to be one of the fastest ways to improve overall fitness. It achieves this by throttling your body into what’s known as a state of ‘excess post-exercise oxygen consumption’ (EPOC). During this period – also referred to as the ‘afterburn’ – your body is essentially recalibrating, using increased amounts of oxygen to replenish depleted energy levels and reset hormones and body temperature. When in EPOC (which can last up to 48 hours), the body continues to burn calories, explains Haydn Elliott, co-owner of, and trainer at, F45 Oxford Circus in London.
The F45 8-Week Challenge, another of the company’s drawcards, is deemed the ultimate fitness test for its members. Eight weeks of as many classes as you can fit in (“you should aim for at least five a week,” says Elliott), along with a meal plan (you’re encouraged to eat meat and nuts for breakfast) and a motivational app guarantees impressive results. Those who lose the most weight can expect to win anything from far-flung holidays to cash prizes.
F45 was born out of Deutsch’s desire to create a group-based, results-driven workout and a model customers would keep coming back to. “There was a clear gap in the market,” he explains. “On the one end of the spectrum, there are individuals who spend $20 [approx. £15] a week on a gym membership but get no motivation so they … stop going. Then you have the people paying up to $80 [£60] for personal training sessions. I wanted to create something that combined the two in a fun environment.”
F45, he says, falls somewhere between the two: group sessions, led by fitness instructors, priced in the mid-way mark (£25 per session) while offering a premium experience.
But F45’s pared-back aesthetic – bright lights and branded equipment such as battle ropes, sandbags and medicine balls – puts it in stark contrast with the low-lit, Instagram-friendly boutique studios that have become trendy in today’s fitness world.
“Does trendy always mean effective?” asks Elliott. “When it comes to fitness, you don’t need to overcomplicate it. These basic components are what make [F45] easy to follow and fun. McDonald’s only sold burgers and chips for 25 years and became the biggest franchise in history. I’m not promoting fast food, but F45’s simplicity is a reason for its success.”
Deutsch started franchising in 2014, and there are now branches in 35 countries. Most recently, F45 studios opened up in the Czech Republic, Finland and India.
But in an age of fleeting fitness trends, does F45 run the risk of becoming another fad? HIIT training – which is at the crux of F45’s philosophy – has had its fair share of bad press in recent months. Critics point out that, if you’re doing HIIT properly, you shouldn’t be able to do it five times a week – it’s designed to push your body to its limits.
Personal trainer and biomechanics coach Anthony Fletcher tells Culture Trip that HIIT training should be approached with caution. “Five HIIT sessions a week is a huge amount. Unless you’re a trained athlete, it’s all too easy to injure yourself and in classes like F45, you’re often left to your own devices,” he says. “For the best results, HIIT should be incorporated as a part of a wider training plan. By popping up on every street corner, F45 are playing a numbers game – but this doesn’t mean it’s the be all and end all of fitness.”
These days, hardcore fitness sells, but will enthusiasm for pushing our bodies to the limit push us to the fitness brink? Is it time we all slowed down?
Deutsch is adamant that F45 has long-term potential. Unlike spin or boxing studios, which offer just one discipline, F45 is able to adapt to workout trends, he says. But with fitness fads moving faster than a HIIT session, F45 may well need to rethink its strategy before it burns out.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.