London-based artist and musician Babak Ganjei’s Valentine’s Day cards are a fun, unusual take on the soppy greeting cards normally associated with February 14.
Most Valentine’s Day cards are syrupy sweet and unimaginative, so it’s refreshing to see cards with bold statements like “It Hasn’t Got Boring Yet,” “I Love the Obligation You Have Become”, and best of all, “I’m in the Bush Outside and I Really Love You.” These darkly humourous cards are the work of Babak Ganjei, a London-based artist and musician, and owe much to Ganjei’s family ties.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“Though I was born in England, my parents are both Iranian. Even though I don’t speak the language very well anymore there is a very specific sense of humour and delivery that’s unique to Iranians, which I think comes through,” he says. It’s a nice example of a meeting between cultures, as the bluntness and honesty of the cards evidently also appeal to Londoners’ dark sense of humour.
Babak Ganjei started drawing the tongue-in-cheek Valentine’s Day cards about four years ago at an art market in London. At first he wrote the cards at the event itself, since he wasn’t sure how many he’d sell. “Now I do them in ink in my studio. I’ve also done Christmas cards and that’s a more lucrative market, as you need a lot of Christmas cards to send to people. You only really need one card for Valentine’s Day, unless you’re some creep who sends out 20 of them,” Ganjei says.
In a way, Ganjei says, it’s strange that his Valentine’s Day cards sell, since they’re really about him working out what he wants and expects from a relationship. He’s not a massive fan of the Valentine’s Day card industry, though he admits to being a sucker for rom coms. “In general, I have a bad attitude towards these things; I’ve pretty much been single since breaking up with my kid’s mum, so I haven’t really dated anyone for 10 years,” says Ganjei. But the honest tone of his cards has clearly struck a chord with people who want Valentine’s Day to be less about pressure, and more about showing your beloved that you have a sense of humour.
Ganjei was born in Essex but grew up in London, before his family moved to Bournemouth when he was a teenager. As soon as he turned 18 he moved back to London and went to legendary art school Central St Martins, and he thinks London has had a massive influence on his art. “I’ve always thought of cities as the places the freaks and weirdos are meant to congregate, and I don’t like it when artists are being priced out of the city. I’ve always felt part of the challenge of an artist to survive the city – it means you have to keep creative and find ways of making something from nothing.”
The card idea has evolved since he first came up with it, and the “I’m in the Bush Outside” card, among others, has also been turned into a handwritten poster and a silk-screen print. “If something’s working, you don’t question it; I made 100 handwritten versions and they all sold,” Ganjei says. “For a long time they were my only source of income.” And the cards themselves continue to be popular. “The bestsellers are “I’m in the Bush Outside and I Really Love You”, “A Strong Feeling of Emotion”, “I Love My Perception of You” and “It Hasn’t Got Boring Yet,” Ganjei says. “I also made a card that says “I Regret the Divorce” – and somebody bought that.”
Babak Ganjei’s exhibition Everything Is Really Bad And It’s Only Going To Get Worse And This Is The Most Perfect Time is at Atom Gallery, London on March 2-23.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.