Let’s pay homage to one of the most iconic fashion designers of our generation and celebrate the life and work of Alexander McQueen.
After leaving school at 16, Lee Alexander McQueen worked on the prestigious Savile Row as an apprentice for Anderson and Sheppard and then later for Gieves and Hawkes, where he cut his teeth in suit design before moving into theatrical costume. Here, he mastered the art of pattern cutting—specifically tailoring—which has become synonymous with his namesake label ever since.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
His first MA graduate collection, showcased in 1992, made waves in the industry when famed stylist Isabella Blow—who fell in love with the designers’ penchant for fusing ethereal and romantic with a contradictory tough-luxe aesthetic—bought the collection in its entirety. McQueen later dedicated his Spring/Summer 2008 collection to the stylist after her death in 2007. The overall theme of the season celebrated the intricacy of feathers and featured a brightly-coloured, neon bird positioned behind the models as they walked the runway. This is just a small example of McQueen’s limitless creativity; some of his most memorable runway moments include a live spray-paint installation whereby a model stood on a revolving platform whilst coloured paint was applied to her dress, a life-sized chessboard, and most recently, iconic 10-inch Armadillo heels.
McQueen’s stint at Givenchy (1996-2001) allowed for continued creative expression, this time drawing from French haute couture instead of the traditional British heritage. He served as chief designer whilst also working on his own line collections and famously pushed runway boundaries with his controversial ideas, for example, sending Aimee Mullins, a Paralympic athlete, down the runway on wooden legs with intricate carvings. He is a four-time awardee of the British Fashion Council British Designer of the Year, and his catwalk presentations were the most hotly anticipated events on the Fashion Week calendar season after season.
In 2000, the Gucci group bought a 51% stake in Alexander McQueen. Soon after, the designer left his position at Givenchy to focus solely on expanding his business. The label grew from strength to strength, with stores opening worldwide, in cities including L.A. and Beirut.
In the same year, Alexander McQueen appointed Sarah Burton as head of design for womenswear. After McQueen’s unexplained and unexpected death in 2010, Burton was promoted to creative director across the board. In 2011, McQueen’s contributions to fashion were honoured at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Later, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London also paid homage with a showcase entitled “Savage Beauty,” which included many of his unforgettable creations.
Now, as Burton continues to head up the fashion house, she takes the label in both new directions (having famously designed the Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding dress in 2012), as well as some that stay true to its founder’s established aesthetic. There’s an unexpected sharpness to the Autumn/Winter 2017 womenswear collection, which features shearling silhouettes and structured shoulders balanced with cinched waists that result in a look that is unmistakably McQueen.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.