You don’t have to go abroad to find clear seas and white sand – the English coast is lined with hidden coves, dramatic bays and beautiful beaches just waiting to be discovered. Keep away from the bustling tourist resorts and instead seek out one of the below beaches for uninterrupted sunbathing, windy walks or even a swim if the weather permits.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bossiney Cove, Cornwall
Cornwall’s coast is lined with dramatic beaches, but to escape the crowds you need to be prepared to get off the beaten path. To access Bossiney Cove, beach-goers must follow a steep footpath down the cliff to discover a sheltered cove lined with soft golden sand. Most tourists opt for the more accessible beaches in the area, so chances are that you’ll only have to share the beach with a few locals.
Backed by sand dunes and accessed via a short walk through a pine forest, the vastness of Holkham beach makes it popular with dog walkers. Don’t be deterred if you aren’t a dog owner, the huge expanse of sand at low tide means that you’re certain to find your own private spot without having to fight for space. Nature lovers can choose to wander onto the neighbouring reserves to spot large colonies of seabirds and even a couple of seals if you’re lucky.
Although this Cornish beach definitely can’t be classed as remote, it’s one of the most stunning bays in the entire country. Popular with families thanks to easy access and clear blue waters, the beach is nestled between dramatic cliffs, making for excellent photo opportunities. At low tide, escape the crowds and walk around the bay to discover some of the more secluded beaches in the area including a tranquil bay below an ancient fort.
Pedn Vounder, Cornwall
If you’re after crystal clear water, white sand and unspoilt surroundings, you can’t do better than this secluded Cornish bay. Accessed by boat or a short stroll from aforementioned Porthcurno at low tide, Pedn Vounder is popular with nudists thanks to its natural privacy. Ensure that you check the time of the tides to avoid being cut off – the only other way out is a steep climb up the towering cliffs that surround the bay.
Studland Bay, Dorset
Forget that you’re in England at this unspoilt bay on the south coast with its miles of white sand. Backed by grass-covered dunes, there are plenty of sheltered spots if the wind is blowing, but if you’re visiting in the height of summer, you’ll definitely be tempted to pick a spot by the shore and leap into the clear blue sea. Steer away from the popular Knoll Beach and wander north to find more rustic spots.
West Wittering, Sussex
Earning Blue Flag status for its beautiful clean shoreline, this popular beach may be close to London for day-trippers but never feels too busy thanks to its miles of sand. Nature lovers will relish in wandering through the wetlands behind the beach, ambling through the dunes to admire the view, keeping their eyes peeled for native wildlife. At low tide, shallow pools appear on the sands, perfect for paddling and cooling off on hot days. Chances are that you’ll fall in love and want to return, so why not put your name down on the incredibly long waiting list for one of the private colourful beach huts?
If you prefer your beaches wild and rugged, Northumberland is the place for you. Newton-by-the-sea is a pretty little coastal town boasting an untouched sandy beach backed by wild grass-covered dunes. This far north you may struggle for warm sunny days, but don’t let that stop you leaping into the sea for a brisk dip. The views of Dunstanburgh Castle on the other side of the bay are particularly impressive.
Whitby may be a great family day out, but there are much better spots to soak up the sun on the North Yorkshire coast. Opt for Sandsend if you’re seeking a quieter spot for a stroll along the beach or if you have children in tow. Kids will love playing in the little streams or hunting for fossils at low tide, while adults can sit back and enjoy a rest.
Lancashire may be known more for its traditional seaside resorts, but if you’re looking for something a little more unspoilt, head down the coast to Formby. Here, you can take a stroll through the pine forest to spot red squirrels, before venturing over the dramatic sand dunes to explore the vast stretch of sand below. Although the beach is incredibly popular with families and dog walkers on hot summer’s days, it never feels too full thanks to its size.
Kynance Cove, Cornwall
Sparkling turquoise water, white sands and dramatic rock formations await those who shun the nearby Lizard Point in favour of discovering a more remote Cornish beach. Not only is this beach perfect for sunbathing and swimming, but there are plenty of rocks to climb and caves to explore for the more adventurous.
Man O’War Beach, Dorset
This stunning half-moon bay on the Jurassic Coast is a welcome respite from the more crowded beaches in the area. Brave the steep footpath down the cliffs (not for those with a fear of heights at 800 metres) to discover one of the best swimming spots on the south coast. The mix of dramatic cliffs and clear waters offers something for everyone, from sun-worshippers to hikers.
At low tide, this sheltered cove offers not one but two beaches on either side of its rocky outcrop, which can also be reached at high tide via a short swim. Accessed via steep steps in the cliffs, visitors are rewarded with turquoise water, a small stretch of golden sand and the possibility of being the only people there. One of the best spots on the British coast for pretending you’ve been shipwrecked on a desert island.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.