Located in Kent, just south of Dover, Folkestone has been transforming from a sleepy seaside town to a bustling home for creative types over recent years. The new creative quarter has filled the area with artists, independent businesses, and a surge of local restaurants. Not sure where to start? Try one of these.
The Lavender Tea House
Take on a traditional English afternoon tea at The Lavender Tea House. The contemporary tearoom is ideal for a casual lunch or a relaxing break with your favorite cup of Darjeeling, Ceylon, or Chamomile. The homemade cakes, scones, and muffins pair with the loose-leaf teas to transport you way back to the early 19th century, when the ritual of afternoon tea began. The Lavender Tea House mixes contemporary with traditional in its simple menu.
Googies Art Café
Googies has concocted a perfect pairing with its undeniably delicious gourmet burgers and craft beer. The craft beer craze has travelled from America to the UK, where smaller, local brews are finally standing out. In addition to mouth-watering burgers stacked high with locally sourced beef, Googies offers gourmet hot dogs, stunning breakfast platters, and fine fair trade coffees. Time your visit to see live music or an art exhibition while you dine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Situated right next to the English Channel, Rocksalt’s floor-to-ceiling windows offer some of Folkestone’s best dinnertime views. Sit inside or out while enjoying a dish of Folkestone’s freshly caught, seasonal fish or locally sourced meat. Stop by on a Sunday to enjoy a traditional English roast.
Chummys Seafood Stall
If you plan to stop by the Folkestone’s seaside, you won’t want to miss out on a visit to Chummys Seafood Stall. The family run business aims to serve the best shellfish, and locals would attest to its success. Modern adaptations like deep fried chili prawns and traditional favorites like jellied eels and mussels are all highly recommended.
Blooms brings the flavor of the Mediterranean to southeast England. Fresh pizzas, pastas, and seafood dishes mix Mediterranean and British styles to provide something everyone will enjoy. Located just down the road from the harbor on the Old High Street, the modern interior of the restaurant has an open theater kitchen and a lounge for pre-dinner drinks. Reservations are recommended.
A visit to a traditional English pub recommended by the Good Beer Guide is a great way to end your travels through Folkestone. Conveniently located inland from the harbor, the relaxed atmosphere makes the perfect setting for a casual lunch. The lunchtime menu runs from noon to 3pm. Try a traditional roast or have an order of fish and chips made with The Guildhall’s locally sourced cod.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.