Home to Lancashire Cricket Club since 1864, Emirates Old Trafford has hosted some of cricket’s most famous domestic and international fixtures – as well as the highest number of Cricket World Cups. From stadium-side specials to quirky city centre post-match hangouts, stay nearby in these Manchester hotels – bookable with Culture Trip.
This four-star Hilton Hotel is on-site – step out of bed and into your seats with the luxury of a pitch-facing bedroom balcony. Kick back and order room service or visit the hotel’s Garden Bar and Grille to stay in the heart of the cricketing action. If you want to explore Manchester more, there’s free parking and a Metrolink station just a two-minute walk away – stroll six minutes and you’re at Manchester United football ground. The hotel has a fitness centre and events spaces for up to 2,000 people, what more could you want?
Enjoy Castlefield’s facilities after a day at Old Trafford just a 10-minute drive away – complete with a charged car park. Relax in the sauna and pool or get your pulse racing at aqua aerobics. Try spin classes in the on-site gym, or take advantage of the sports hall space for a game of basketball or badminton – there’s even a 100m indoor running track. Family trip? Saturdays bring junior fun swims. Your reward is the unlimited buffet breakfast of all your favourites at the Bridgewater canal-view lounge bar, which also serves drinks and dinner – exactly what you need after a day at the cricket.
Looking for luxury? Manchester’s former Stock Exchange offers signature suites with the same Edwardian Baroque architecture that sweeps throughout the hotel. Book the former boardroom with marble pillars and stained glass windows or the exclusive top-floor residency with skyline-view roof terrace. You’ll love the domed-ceiling restaurant with food by Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge. For something truly special, book a cooking masterclass with his team in the restored underground vault. There’s a tram stop nearby for easy access to Old Trafford, too.
Relax and indulge at this Grade II listed hotel in bright, peaceful rooms with chicly muted tones and floor-to-ceiling windows; while the award-winning spa features sleep chambers, a relaxation pool and a Himalayan salt block wall sauna. Daily changing menus in the sophisticated restaurant, the French, are created by chef Adam Reid – winner of BBC’s Great British Menu and 4AA Rosette awards. Don’t leave without visiting the iconic Tea Room: it’s been serving fresh afternoon teas, overlooking St Peter’s Square, since 1903.
This restored textile mill is boutique at its best with just 16 chic rooms featuring exposed brick, wooden shutters, gold furnishings and bronze bathroom features. In-room Jacob Jenson technology means you can make your stay your own. Meanwhile, the tree-strewn lounge downstairs shakes up fantastic cocktails and staff offer around on-the-house prosecco and antipasti trays – all in an equally stylish setting. Nearby trams will take you straight to Old Trafford to fulfil your cricketing needs.
Enjoy all things quirky quirky here at this New York-themed stay on central Portland Street, where small dogs are welcome in rooms with cool wall sketches and vintage accessories. Book a suite here and you’ll get your own library and a ‘Brooklyn in a Bottle’ liquor section. There’s a yellow taxi outside to greet you to Runyon’s restaurant which offers up American faves like maple bacon-topped burgers and Brooklyn craft beer. The indulgent bottomless brunch even comes with a cheesesteak sandwich, giving you a taste of Philadelphia in the heart of Manchester.
Your Insta will thank you for a stay at INNSIDE with its terrace side Spritz Bar serving sparkling al fresco cocktails. The bar is trendy inside, too – finished with a plant-strewn ceiling, colourful chairs and resident DJs. Tuck into steaks or seafood – think fried chilli squid – at the hotel’s First Street Bar & Kitchen, where the Italian-inspired menu was designed by Gino D’Acampo. Does it get much better? Add in the swish rooms, wellness suite with Finnish Sauna and creative, tech-savvy meeting rooms: there’s nothing more you’ll need.
For more excellently located stays in the shadow of Old Trafford, see the best hotels near Old Trafford, home of Manchester United, and the best hotels near the Trafford Shopping Centre. They’re all bookable now through Culture Trip. If you need some great things to do, check out these tips from Manchester locals, as well as 25 free things to do in the city. Then, why not end your day with the best – and most affordable – cocktails in town?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.