Planning a shopping spree? Stay at one of these hotels close to Manchester’s largest shopping centre – ranging from a boutique bolthole in the city centre to a football-themed hotel overlooking Old Trafford Stadium, all bookable on Culture Trip.
The Trafford Centre boasts the largest food court in Europe and one of the biggest chandeliers on the planet. As if that weren’t enough, it’s also home to the first Selfridges to open outside London, a 20-screen cinema, a laser quest centre and a miniature golf course, as well as hundreds of shops selling everything under the sun. Here’s where to stay if you’re planning some serious retail therapy in Manchester.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A good rest is guaranteed at this dependable three-star, which offers blackout blinds and a pillow menu in each of its 220 rooms. To help you get ready for some serious shopping, a complimentary cooked or buffet breakfast is included, or you can grab a breakfast bag to go. The restaurant also serves lunch and dinner, plus there’s a bar next to reception where you can kick back with a wine, beer or coffee after shopping. Parking is available for a small daily fee.
Most rooms at this four-star Hilton have private balconies looking directly onto Manchester’s Old Trafford cricket ground. Classic pub fare, such as burgers and fish and chips, are served in-room or in a stylish restaurant also overlooking the stadium, plus a full English or cold buffet breakfast is available for an extra fee. There’s also free parking available right next to the hotel and a small gym on site. The Trafford Centre is a five-minute drive or taxi-ride away.
This city centre Melia outpost offers menus by renowned TV chef Gino D’Acampo. Tuck into grilled tikka-style sea bass or a juicy ribeye steak (with truffle cheesy fries on the side) at the colourful restaurant overlooking First Street, the centrepoint of one of Manchester’s liveliest neighbourhoods. Other perks include a hidden Wellness Centre with a gym, Finnish sauna, aromatic steam room and treatment rooms. To reach the Trafford Centre, jump on the X50 bus directly outside the hotel, on Whitworth Street.
There are palm trees in the bar at this 16-room boutique, which occupies a turn-of-the-century textile mill in Manchester’s Northern Quarter. Rooms feature bronze rainfall showers and exposed brick walls, plus include a breakfast bag of granola, orange juice, brioche and fruit. Head down to the moodily lit cocktail bar early evening and you’ll receive complimentary prosecco and antipasti. To reach the Trafford Centre, walk four minutes to Piccadilly Gardens and jump on the X50 bus.
This four-star Marriott offers sleek twin and double rooms with hardwood floors and subdued colours, a buffet or continental breakfast – for an extra fee – and a bar-restaurant specialising in craft cocktails, pizza and tapas. It’s connected to the Trafford Centre by the Red Line Tram (nearest stop: Imperial War Museum). The Manchester United stadium and the Lowry Theatre are just a 15-minute walk away. The well-equipped gym is free to use, and on-site parking is available for a competitive daily fee.
Want to make the most of your Manchester stay? Then book one of the most romantic hotels or one of the best boutique hotels in the city now via Culture Trip. Fill your daytime itinerary with tips on what to do from locals or these free things to do, and then unwind with a well-priced cocktail.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.