Old Trafford, otherwise known as the home of Manchester United, is visited by millions of fans each year. Here’s our guide on where to stay near the famous football stadium – all bookable on Culture Trip.
Old Trafford football stadium – as even the most entry-level football fan will tell you – is in Greater Manchester. As Britain’s second-largest city, it’s no wonder that there are reams of incredible hotels, steeped in history and rich in original period features. Whether you want to stay down in the Salford area, near the stadium, or opt for the busy city centre, there are plenty of brilliant options for your stay.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
On top of your stay, you can book one of the hotel’s Matchday Hospitality Packages, which includes a three-course meal, ticket to the match and a Q&A with a Manchester United legend.
Next to Old Trafford’s cricket stadium – and just a 10-minute walk up to the football stadium, too – this branch of the Hilton is as chic as you’d expect. Most rooms here boast a view of the cricket pitch, as well as an adjoining balcony where you can enjoy an evening bev or two.
The rooms are smart and spacious, offering room service if the dining room doesn’t tempt you. There’s also an on-site gym with machines and free weights – if you’re full of post-match adrenaline.
A slice of reliable, classy comfort from the Marriott, the AC Hotel has unmistakable art deco vibes in the large, bright dining space where you can assemble for breakfast or dinner – unless breakfast in bed takes your fancy.
Just 10 minutes from Old Trafford football stadium on foot, the hotel is based in the swish quarter of Salford Quays, a modern cultural hub in the city’s old docklands.
Hotel Gotham boasts 60 exquisite and individually designed bedrooms, many with a standalone brass bath. You can opt for drinks in Club Brass – which is open to members and Gotham guests only – or indulge in some slow fine dining in Honey, the hotel’s own restaurant on the sixth floor.
This sophisticated five-star celebrates its Manchester roots with style and decadence. The interiors don intelligent design that plays with light, space and pops of colour – with artwork that references local culture and Manchester icons dotted around every corner.
Make time for one – or more – of the luxurious spa treatments and take a spin in the on-site gym before settling in at the River Restaurant – where dishes like organic chicken and mushroom pie with truffle sauce come with a side of iconic river views. Then all that’s left to do is dance the night away in the Lowry Lounge and Bar, which keeps guests up with live music and cocktails.
A real show-stopper of a period property, this hotel in central Manchester prides itself on industrial glamour. The sympathetic renovation has highlighted the incredible and rather rare Victorian tile work and original interiors that make an impressive first impression in the stunning lobby.
The Refuge Dining Room is staffed by a team of chefs from famed local fine-dining spot Volta – plus the hotel is ideally located for any arrivals by train, just a few minutes walk from Manchester Piccadilly station.
One of the few surviving great station hotels, the Midland opened in 1903 to serve guests straight off the train from London. Its luxurious interiors have held fast for 115 years while receiving regular updates of all the mod cons.
There’s a stunning dining room with a chandelier that may momentarily take your attention away from the haute cuisine and old rail travel posters that adorn the walls – a sweet nod to its history. In addition, the bedrooms are as elegant as you’d expect, but it’s the suites that boast skyline views of the city – the cherry on top of an unforgettable stay.
This ultra-modern, sleek hotel of the INNSIDE chain is housed in a glass building in a hip area of South Manchester. This is where the infamous Hacienda nightclub once showed the world how to party, but now the hotel is better-placed for footie fans with Old Trafford in their sights.
After the match – or party – you can unwind in the hotel’s spa and wellness suite, with its Finnish sauna, aromatic steam room and serene relaxation area. The contemporary rooms and suites are spread over 10 floors, with the studio and upper-floor rooms boasting magnificent city views.
The attached First Street Bar and Kitchen – helmed by celebrity chef Gino D’acampo – offers fine Italian dining to boot. Order the cod a la plancha with chorizo, new potatoes and rosemary and thank us later.
Looking for more inspiration? We’ve narrowed down the top accommodation options from the best hotels to the best apartments in Manchester and they’re all bookable on Culture Trip. You can then spend some time discovering Manchester’s coolest neighbourhoods or ticking these must-visit attractions off your bucket list. Try one of the best cheap eats in Manchester if you want to experience the city’s thriving food scene on a budget.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.