There’s fun seven nights a week on Canal Street, the colourful stretch of endlessly buzzing bars, clubs and restaurants known as Manchester’s Gay Village. Catch an art exhibition at renowned No 1 Canal Street, dance with drag queens and DJs at Via, belt out show tunes at Oscar’s piano bar, or indulge at the Alice in Wonderland-inspired Richmond Tea Rooms. These handpicked hotels – bookable with Culture Trip – are steps away from the fun and include panoramic penthouses and decadent hideaways.
Exposed brick, gold furnishings and wooden shutters make for chic boutique bedrooms in this restored textile mill; bronze bathroom features, Hypnos beds and Jacob Jenson technology add extra flair. The coolness continues downstairs: sink into the comfy sofas at the palm tree-strewn cocktail lounge, where generous on-the-house prosecco and antipasti trays do the rounds. Staff at this trendy Northern Quarter haunt will help you pick the best nearby restaurants (and dishes) for when you spill out, hungry for more.
Partied out? Try the Night in Style package offering dinner at Dakota Grill – where signature prime cut steaks are cooked over hot coals – followed by in-room champagne, popcorn, pic’n’mix, Sky Movies and next-morning breakfast. Opt for a suite to enjoy a marble-top tub or jacuzzi, walk-in wardrobe, wraparound balcony-views over twinkling Manchester City, and a personal host throughout. Hit the heated terrace for cocktails like apple and vanilla margarita, or the semi-private Champagne Room for sipping and cigars.
Combine the feel of local living with boutique luxury at this award-winning aparthotel. The renovated Grade II-listed Ducie Street warehouse wows with glass vaulted roofs, boldly coloured art deco furniture and panoramic city views from the penthouse; yet you’ll feel at home, thanks to the fully equipped kitchen, house plants and scatter cushions. Native has a cinema, restaurant, fitness studio, lounge for drinks and dancing, and a deli serving handmade bakery goodies and canned cocktails: it’s true Manchester living.
You’re welcomed into this accessible Bridgewater Street joint with a neon “nice to see you” sign – and the friendly surprises keep on coming. There’s an all-day Costa Coffee bar, and a breakfast of berry muesli and fruit salad can be delivered to your room. Best of all is the downstairs Oddsocks Bar & Kitchen: floor-to-ceiling glass, plush sofas and colourful scatter cushions accompany you and your crew for a night of regional bottled beers and exciting burgers, like the Mexican chilli-topped patty.
This quirky Portland Street stay has gone all-in with the theme – yellow taxi included. The restaurant, Runyon’s, promises Big Apple swagger like the maple-bacon-topped burger, buffalo-sauce-drenched cauliflower wings and bottomless brunch featuring cheesesteak sandwiches, all to be washed down with Brooklyn craft beer or NYC-themed cocktails. Contemporary, small-dog-friendly rooms feature powder-pink furniture, cool wall sketches and vintage accessories, while suites have floor-to-ceiling city-view windows, your own library and a Brooklyn in a Bottle liquor section.
This former 19th-century warehouse is now a boutique hotel featuring Instagram-worthy suites with poppy, 60s-style interiors. There’s a gym, a spa and a restaurant serving classics plus surprises like Asian-style roast pork belly. In the Chez Mal Bar, sip signature cocktails on the red leather sofas, including the quirky, gin-based Tea in the Rose Garden, with blackberry and raspberry tea, lemon and tonic. Soak up the hangover with a Malmaison breakfast: choose between buffet-style continental, full English or smoked salmon with scrambled eggs.
Looking for more inspiration? A stay at one of the best cheap hotels in Manchester is great if you are on a budget, and a stay at one of these top apartments is perfect if you’re looking for privacy above all else. There’s plenty worth exploring, too – from the coolest neighbourhoods to the must-visit attractions in the city. We’ve also narrowed down the best cheap eats in Manchester so that you can easily grab a quick bite on the go.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.