If you’re looking for somewhere to stay on a budget in Manchester, these wallet-friendly places don’t stint on style.
Being strapped for cash doesn’t mean settling for crowded dorms or bland budget chains. Manchester’s hotel scene has exploded in recent years, and competitive new arrivals mean there are great deals to be had. Free prosecco on tap? Yes please. Cool co-working spaces? Don’t mind if we do.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Despite its eminently affordable room rates, this cool Northern Quarter hotel treats guests to the kind of perks you’d expect from far pricier places. There are high-thread-count linens and goose down duvets on the Hypnos beds, while bathrooms are handsomely kitted out with fluffy towels, REN toiletries and bronze rainfall showers. The icing on the Cow Hollow cake? Every evening friendly staff lay on free prosecco and nibbles in the bar.
There’s a particularly sociable vibe to this warehouse conversion on the edge of the Gay Village. As well as offering good-value apartments with the design values of a boutique hotel (soothing colour palettes, natural woods and smart Smeg kitchenettes), it also has a handsome central space filled with old industrial features and lavish greenery, where you can find a co-working space, grab a coffee, enjoy a cocktail and check out what’s on the lively roster of events.
The Ainscow occupies a former brewery in a rapidly developing corner of Salford, 10 minutes’ walk from Manchester’s shiny new Spinningfields district, with its smart shops and bars. You get plenty of space and facilities for your money here: the high-ceilinged bedrooms are generously sized, and there’s a well-equipped fitness room, a spa offering cryotherapy treatments and (when the weather plays ball) a suntrap roof terrace.
Every Hotel Indigo has a different style that reflects its host city. Here, you get an old Victorian tea warehouse with quirky design details that reference Manchester’s heritage: cotton spools for coat hooks, or (in a nod to the city’s worker bee symbol) honeycomb-shaped shower tiles. Best of all, Indigo is all about offering affordable luxury, so you stay in high-spec comfort for less than you might expect.
Self-catering is always a good way to stretch your budget, and here all 19 smartly furnished apartments come complete with a fully equipped kitchen and dining area. It wins Brownie points on the location, too, sitting right on the doorstep of the Northern Quarter, a creative district filled with indie cafés, shops and bars, and also the city’s street art hub, with dozens of colourful murals everyone can enjoy for free.
You might not expect to find cheap rooms at the Malmaison, one of Manchester’s earliest boutique hotels, but there are bargain deals to be had, especially if you’re visiting over a weekend. The hotel offers smart, mostly monochrome rooms in a handily central location, just a few minutes’ walk from Piccadilly station. There’s a small spa and gym in the basement, creative cocktails in the bar and a restaurant serving brasserie classics such as smoked haddock fishcakes and steak frites.
This four-star, 10-storey hotel – part of the First Street development and yards from culture hub HOME – has the kind of slickly designed rooms that could easily command a higher price tag. They’re well-sized and clutter-free, and come with thoughtful little touches such as power sockets in the bedhead and a minibar with free soft drinks. The bar terrace is great for people watching and enjoying the free events that take place in the piazza, especially over summer.
For more options, discover our guide to the best hotels or luxurious places to stay in Manchester, now bookable on Culture Trip. Or if you’re looking for budget-friendly hotel options, discover our guide to where to stay on a budget in Manchester, bookable on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.