Art-full design, indoor pools, gyms and cinemas come as standard in these stylish home-from-home stays in Manchester.
Recent years have seen a boom in the number of aparthotels popping up in central Manchester. Some are clever conversions of historic properties rich in original features; others are smart new blocks built with 21st-century travellers in mind. All offer the chance to live like a local as you make the most of Manchester’s impressive culture, fast-moving food scene and lively nightlife.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Three linked Victorian buildings on the edge of Manchester’s Gay Village make up this stylish aparthotel, where confident colour choices and plentiful potted plants add warmth to original iron girders and bare brick walls. The Scandi-chic apartments have dusky pink walls, brass accents and well-equipped kitchens; downstairs, the communal areas, centred on a glass-roofed bar, include a co-working space, coffee shop and workout studio. A fun calendar of events takes in everything from fitness classes to floristry lessons.
The architects behind London’s Chiltern Firehouse put the sexy into serviced apartments with this warehouse conversion near Piccadilly station. The flats, set around a light-filled central atrium, feature rich colours and textures, with velvet throws on the beds, peacock-blue kitchen units and plenty of original features, such as cast iron columns and brick-barrelled ceilings. On the ground floor, Ducie Street Warehouse offers all-day socialising, with its vast open lounge, workspaces, coffee shop, restaurant, gym and cinema.
This modern block, backing on to the Rochdale Canal, has 87 clean-lined apartments, all with well-equipped kitchens and washer-driers. There’s a good choice of different sizes to suit all age groups, including large penthouse suites that sleep six or seven, with their own balcony or roof terrace. On-site facilities include a small gym and a smart ground-floor bar overlooking the canal. Breakfast comes on a tray delivered to your door.
This 182-room aparthotel is housed in a curvy 1960s-era office block that lines the approach to Piccadilly station, so it’s easy to reach by public transport and you’re well placed for exploring the city centre and beyond. The look is simple but smart, with occasional pops of yellow livening up a white-and-grey backdrop. Reception is manned round-the-clock, there’s a mini-gym on site and the 24/7 café serves snacks, pizza, drinks and grab-and-go breakfasts.
Strictly speaking, this shiny glass-and-steel tower is in Salford, but there’s only a two-minute stroll across the River Irwell separating it from central Manchester. Big windows and pale neutral shades keep things light and bright, with odd splashes of colour from a rug, cushion or artwork. It may not have the quirkiness of a conversion, but there are some distinct advantages that come with being a new-build: efficient soundproofing (a bonus in this party city) and an indoor pool.
This is one of two Roomzzz properties in central Manchester, with a characterful setting in the former Corn Exchange. Behind the historic façade, the apartments themselves are bang up to date, with a contemporary urban look and assorted mod-cons, including LED mood lighting and heated bathroom floors. Every apartment gets a dinky kitchenette, making it easy to self-cater, but Roomzzz also shares the building with a food court, so it’s even easier to nip downstairs or order take-out.
Just across the square from Manchester Crown Court and a short walk from Piccadilly Gardens, SACO Manchester Piccadilly is a purpose-built block offering a choice of studios and one- or two-bedroom apartments. The overall look is fresh and light without being stark: against a backdrop of all-white walls and kitchen units, soft furnishings add texture and colour, and there are plenty of little luxuries to discover, including Hypnos mattresses, Bose sound docks and fancy L’Occitane bathroom products.
Once a milliner’s shop and warehouse, this 19th-century property is now home to 19 smart self-catering apartments, an in-house bar/restaurant and a 24-hour reception. The look is contemporary classic, with black-and-white photos of Manchester’s landmarks adding a sense of place. The Arndale Centre is just across the road, but things are more interesting if you head around the corner in the opposite direction, to the independent bars, shops and cafes of the Northern Quarter.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.