Bristol, in South West England, is pretty much a hub of quirky-cool fashion. If you’re into garments from the bygone eras, then you’ve come to the right place — there are loads of thrift stores dotted around the city. In fact, there are so many that knowing where to go could get a little confusing. That’s why we’ve compiled a guide to the 10 best vintage stores that Bristol has to offer.
Along the busy Gloucester Road lies RePyscho, a long-standing store packed to the brim with vintage treasures, from denim to plaid shirts to dresses to footwear. A boutique this is not; be prepared to sift through a lot of items, but you’re guaranteed to find some amazing one-of-a-kind items on your hunt.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Having only opened its doors a few years ago, Rhubarb Jumble is fairly new in the secondhand clothing game; however, what it lacks in experience it makes up for with quality. The store feels less thrifty than some of the other vintage stores, with only a few rails displaying cool, retro items — there’s even a selection of homeware!
In the centre of the city on Corn Street lies Urban Fox. A small secondhand store with a large selection of clothing from all different eras, their range of vintage Levi’s is particularly good — jeans, jackets, shirts, dungarees… you name it, they’ve got it. Expect a great selection of sunglasses, too.
Uncle Sam’s American Vintage
Uncle Sam’s is another of these stores that has been around for a while. As one of the more established shops, their range is full of vintage band T-shirts, cool hats, coats and pretty much everything else! With an ideal location halfway up Park Street, this is definitely a good place to spend your afternoon before heading for a spot of lunch.
Loot pretty much epitomises what Bristol is all about: cool and creative individuals. With a more stripped-back vibe, expect one-off items from all over Europe. The team at the store re-work items to bring them up to date or patch up any signs of wear and tear.
Like your vintage designer clothes? You’re guaranteed to like Rag Trade. With an abundance of well-picked, beautiful items wanting a new home, you won’t be short of choice here. You can even trade in your unwanted designer items that have been sitting in your wardrobe from eras gone by!
The Clifton Vintage Boutique
More specifically stocking items from the 1880s to the 1980s, The Clifton Vintage Boutique specialises in women’s, men’s. and children’s clothing, jewellery, vintage bridal accessories, luggage, curtain quilts and so much more.
As well as providing a tailoring service, BettyRae — which sits right in the centre next to the shopping giant which is Cabot Circus — offers a select amount of vintage items including cute tea dresses, vintage 1980s mom jeans, denim jackets and more. There’s even a cute selection of succulents! What more could you want?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.