What do you mean, you haven’t visited Yorkshire? The sprawling northern county is one of the most diverse and beautiful regions in the United Kingdom; home to cosmopolitan cities, rolling hills and breath-taking coastlines. Need more convincing? Here are 12 reasons why you should add Yorkshire to your bucket list.
The countryside is beautiful
Anyone who loves the outdoors will instantly feel at home in Yorkshire. One of the greenest counties in England, it’s filled with beautiful moorland, towering peaks and intriguing limestone pavements. You could go hiking every day for a year and find a different spot each time. Head to the moors in late summer to witness a riot of vibrant heather or to the picturesque Yorkshire Dales during spring to admire new-born lambs and scatterings of wild flowers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It’s full of traditional pubs
Every small village in Yorkshire has at least one cosy, traditional pub serving up pints of local ale and hearty food. In summer, everyone sits outside to soak up the fresh air, but come the colder months, log burners make these cosy inns the perfect place to warm up after a long walk. Make sure you fit in a visit to the Tan Hill Inn, the highest pub in England, located in the Yorkshire Dales.
The connections to classic literature
Nowhere else in England is the connection to classic literature so present. From the moors of Wuthering Heights to Whitby Abbey’s link to Stoker’s Dracula, it’s possible to visit famous locations from a selection of iconic stories. Pay your respects to your literary greats in Heptonstall (Sylvia Plath) and Haworth (the Bronte sisters).
It’s the home of the Sunday roast
Any self-respecting foodie will tell you to head to Yorkshire to sample the best Yorkshire puddings in the UK. A classic Sunday roast isn’t the same without a light and fluffy Yorkshire pud on the plate, and where else to sample the very best than the county that they were invented in?
The beaches are breath-taking
Rather than white sand and clear water, Yorkshire’s beaches aim to impress with their dramatic cliffs and staggering views. From the rustic sands of Runswick Bay to the unparalleled views from Bempton Cliffs and the quintessentially British Bridlington beach huts, Yorkshire’s coastline can be enjoyed at any time of year.
Leeds is a vibrant city
If you’re seeking a cosmopolitan city filled with independent shops, quirky music venues, hip bars and interesting eateries, make a beeline for Leeds. This thriving Yorkshire city is filled with young people, creating a cool ambiance that radiates from its centre to its achingly hip suburbs. Be sure you catch a gig at the Brudenell and check out Belgrave Music Hall’s tasty street food.
And York is rife with history
If you’re looking to absorb the local history, head to York to admire the intriguing architecture that lurks within the city walls. The Dungeons and Viking centre are great for captivating the attention of kids, as are the nightly ghost walks that spin spooky tales around the city’s history. Don’t miss a visit to York Minster and a wander down the Shambles.
The arts scene rivals London
Yorkshire is a hotbed for arts and culture, boasting a surprising array of art galleries, museums and sculpture collections. The Yorkshire Sculpture Triangle takes in the outstanding Yorkshire Sculpture Park, the Henry Moore Institute, Leeds Art Gallery and The Hepworth Wakefield — all located just a 30-minute journey from each other. There’s also the National Media Museum in Bradford and Sheffield’s Millennium Gallery alongside a variety of independent spaces.
You’ll find dramatic ruins
Whitby Abbey isn’t the only attraction in Yorkshire for those interested in ancient ruins. There are plenty of castles and ruins in the county to appease those with a keen interest in history, including Kirkstall Abbey, Bolton Abbey and Sandal Castle. Anyone intrigued by more recently deserted structures can explore the various mills and farmhouses in the area that have been left to decay.
There are three National Parks
Yorkshire is proud to boast not one but three National Parks: the Yorkshire Dales, the North York Moors and parts of the Peak District all lie within the county. All offer endless opportunities for hiking, exploring nature and escaping urban environments within easy reach of towns and cities. Take on the Yorkshire Dales Three Peaks challenge, admire the night sky in the North York Moors or visit pretty villages in Britain’s first ever National Park, the Peaks.
It’s full of market towns
From Skipton to Kirkby Lonsdale, Yorkshire is rife with traditional market towns. Local farmers markets, foodie markets and even specialist crafts and vintage markets pop up every day of the week all across the county. Head to Barnsley to browse the oldest market in Yorkshire, Malton for the foodies favourite and Leeds Kirkgate to admire the beautiful market hall.
Its home to some of the best waterfalls in Britain
You don’t need to travel to Iceland to witness beautiful waterfalls — Yorkshire is home to a staggering array of dramatic cascades. The Yorkshire Dales alone boast the magnificent Ingleton Waterfalls Trail, the impressive Hardraw Force and the tumbling Aysgarth Falls.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.