Stretching across the beautiful counties of Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Warwickshire, Wiltshire and Worcestershire, The Cotswolds is rural England at its most idyllic. Dreamy villages, unspoilt countryside and a charm all of its own, visit once and you’ll never want to leave. Still not convinced? Here’s 11 reasons why you need to make that trip today…
The countryside will take your breath away
Rolling hills, wild meadows, ancient woodland and gentle, meandering streams; The Cotswolds is home to the English countryside of your dreams! Everywhere you turn you’ll be knocked sideways by the picturesque landscape that greets you. There is really nothing quite like it.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There’s so much to do
From medieval castles and magnificent abbeys, to crocodile zoos and husky sledging (yes, really!) there’s so much to see and do here. Whether you’re looking for something to keep the kids busy during the school holidays, or just keen to explore what The Cotswolds has to offer, you definitely won’t run of ideas. In fact, it might be worth extending that trip by another week, just to try and fit it all in…
Literary-fans will be in heaven
It’s no surprise that the beauty of The Cotswolds has inspired so many writers and poets over the years. Everyone from Laurie Lee and J. R. R. Tolkien to Beatrix Potter and J. M. Barrie have taken inspiration from the towns, villages and countryside they encountered during their time in this unique place.
The food is glorious
The Cotswolds has a very well-deserved reputation as a foodie paradise, thanks to the incredible produce on offer. Local specialities like Gloucester Old Spot pork, Tewkesbury mustard, Stinking Bishop cheese, Hobbs House bread and Bibury trout, as well as some of the finest locally-grown veg imaginable, can be found on the menu in restaurants and pubs across the area. The locally-brewed beers and ales, as well as Cotswolds Gin, don’t disappoint either!
It has the prettiest villages in the world
With their distinctive honey-coloured stone cottages, traditional local pubs, charming village greens and bucolic settings, the pretty villages scattered across The Cotswolds offer a slice of idyllic rural life. Each one has its own character – from the elegance of Bourton-on-the-Water to the tranquillity of The Slaughters – but all have the same inimitable Cotswold magic. *Googles ‘Cottages to buy in the Cotswolds’ immediately*
And the towns and cities are beautiful too
It’s not all on a small-scale here though, The Cotswolds is also fringed by some of the most beautiful cities and towns in England. Famous for its natural hot springs and stunning Georgian architecture, the grand city of Bath so beautiful it’s even been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. For culture, head to Cheltenham – home to the renowned Jazz Festival, Literary festival and the glamorous Gold Cup horse racing event.
The pubs are perfection
Traditional pubs – you know, the ones with a roaring open fire, friendly pub dog, real ale, idyllic beer garden – are at the heart of the rural Cotswolds. Stop in for a pint after a long walk, or settle down for the evening with a hearty meal and an overnight stay to really experience the joys of a good, old-fashioned English pub. You won’t find any better than right here.
There’s plenty to raise your heart rate
At first glance you might not associate the tranquil beauty of The Cotswolds with high-octane adrenaline sports, but you’d be wrong. The area is a mountain biking hotspot, and home to The 417 Project – the biggest privately owned mountain bike facility in the country, just outside of Cheltenham. If two-wheels aren’t your thing, check out The Cotswold Water Park, for wild swimming, water-skiing and wakeboarding.
It’s paradise for walkers
There’s no better way to discover the real Cotswolds than on foot. The Cotswold Way National Trail runs for 102 miles through this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, covering all aspects of the famous landscapes. Starting at Chipping Campden leading all the way to Bath, passing historic sites, ancient meadows, picture-perfect villages and beautiful woodland, just pick and choose where you decided to start and finish.
The locals might look familiar
If celeb-spotting is your thing, you might just be in luck here! By far the most famous Cotswolds’ residents are The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, who live at Highgrove, just outside of the beautiful market town of Tetbury. But the area is also where famous faces including Kate Moss, Kate Winslet, Damien Hirst and Alex James (the Blur bassist turned award-winning cheese maker) call home.
The gardens are incredible
Whether you’re into the stately order of a grand country house garden, or prefer the romantic beauty of a Victorian walled garden, The Cotswolds has a wealth of outdoor spots to fall in love with. Cerney House Gardens, close to Cirencester, feels like the pages of The Secret Garden have come to life, while Hidcote Manor Garden is an Arts and Crafts gem.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.