The Cotswolds is home to a captivating array of gardens, just waiting to be explored. From romantic, rambling country cottage flower gardens, to grand arboretums, read our guide to the places you shouldn’t miss.
Cerney House Garden
Stepping into Cerney House Gardens is like stepping into the pages of The Secret Garden. The large Victorian walled garden is a magical place that has carefully been brought back to life by the Angus family. Working with nature, it’s a glorious mix of tumbling plants, heady scents and colourful flowers, which are alive with bees and butterflies. There’s also an organic vegetable garden, orchard – complete with resident Kunekune pig, George – and woodland to explore. Don’t miss the woodland walk during snowdrop or bluebell season, when the ground is carpeted with these pretty wild flowers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hidcote Manor Gardens
This popular National Trust garden has long been a favourite with Cotswolds day-trippers. Designed by Lawrence Johnston, the gardens act as ‘outdoor rooms’, each with their own distinct character and style. Johnston had a passion for exotic plants, which are showcased throughout the gardens. Take your time to wander around each of the exquisitely designed small gardens, then along the maze of pathways lined with colourful flowers and plants, before enjoying a picnic under the shade of the trees.
Highgrove House Gardens
The gardens at Highgrove, HRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall’s private residence, have been transformed over 35 years by the Prince himself. With a strong focus on sustainability and organic methods, the series of gardens are visually stunning as well as providing a haven for wildlife to thrive. From the classic Cottage Garden to the Wildflower Meadow, you can enjoy the ever-changing beauty of the gardens between April and October, on a group or private tour. Noted as some of the most innovative and inspiring gardens in the UK, they are well worth a visit.
Just a few minutes drive from Highgrove you’ll find Westonbirt Arboretum – one of the most admired arboretums in the world. Beautifully landscaped, take a walk down one of the stately avenues, lined with a stunning collection of trees, rhododendrons and magnolias – many of which have been in place since the mid-19th century. For a more informal experience, wander around Silk Wood, which bursts with colour in late April as the bluebells bloom. The arboretum has something to offer whatever the season, but it’s from mid-October to mid-November, when the autumn colours really dazzle.
Field after field of beautiful British lavender fills the landscape in Snowshill, during July and August. One of the most Instagram-able sights in The Cotswolds, the working lavender farm allows visitors to enjoy the beauty of the abundant purple flowering plants during the summer. But be warned, as the lavender is grown as a crop, it will need to be harvested – so keep an eye on the website for the best time to visit, before it’s all gone!
Bourton House Garden
Set in the grounds of a grand 18th century manor house, Bourton House Gardens are a real hidden gem. The award-winning garden, spread over three acres, features many rare and unusual plants in the colourful herbaceous borders, but the stars of the show here must be the imaginative collection of topiary – including a knot garden, parterre and topiary walk. There are some pretty water features worth a visit too, especially a raised basket pond from the Great Exhibition of 1851. Although Bourton House Gardens are beautiful at any time of year, it’s in late summer when it really impresses.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.