Nestled in the north of England in West Yorkshire, Leeds is one of the most vibrant and interesting cities in the UK. Whether you’re looking for delicious food, interesting shops, eclectic nightlife or bountiful outdoor spaces, it has it all. Not convinced? Read on for our list of ten reasons why you should make Leeds your next city break.
The City is Filled With Beautiful Parks and Gardens
From Roundhay Park to Temple Newsam, Leeds and its surrounding area is full of scenic gardens and green parks to walk around. If you like to combine your city breaks with a little fresh air, there are many opportunities to get outdoors within easy reach of the city centre with attractions such as Kirkstall Abbey offering the perfect place for walking the dog or picnicking.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There’s an Array of Art Right on Your Doorstep
From free public art along Leeds Welcome Art Trail to iconic galleries such as the Henry Moore Institute and a scattering of exciting independent galleries all across the city, Leeds is definitely on the map of the art world. Sculpture lovers should set their sights a little further and explore the Yorkshire Sculpture Triangle – the Hepworth Gallery and Yorkshire Sculpture Park are only a short drive away.
It’s the Gateway to Yorkshire
Known as the ‘gateway to Yorkshire’, Leeds is perfectly positioned for exploring the rest of this diverse county. Within an hour’s drive you can find yourself admiring the peaks of the Yorkshire Dales, wandering among the heather on Ilkley Moor or exploring the historical streets of the city of York.
The Music Scene is Vibrant
Showcasing everything from metal to jazz, Leeds’s music scene is eclectic and ever-present. Venues such as The Brudenell and Belgrave Music Hall champion up-and-coming and local bands as well as playing host to darlings of the indie scene, bringing visitors to the city seeking invigorating musical performances.
It’s Filled with Excellent Eateries
If you like to eat out, Leeds is a smorgasbord of everything from Indian street food to elegant tapas restaurants. Street food is everywhere with pop-up food stalls, farmers markets and the popular monthly feast at Belgrave Music Hall proving consistently popular. You could eat our every night of the week for a month and still have a vast variety of restaurants waiting for you to try.
You Don’t Have to Spend Money to Enjoy the City
Small budget? No problem. Leeds is a great city to enjoy without spending a penny, boasting a variety of attractions and activities that you can enjoy for free. Wander around the beautiful arcades and the Minster in the city centre to admire the striking architecture, view free exhibitions at The Tetley, or even catch a cult film for free at the weekly Cinema Club at Crowd of Favours.
You Can Enjoy a Great Pint of Craft Ale
Leeds loves good beer, its many microbreweries supplying the local pubs and bars with an impressive array of delicious craft ale. If you’re into your beer, this is one of the best cities to explore, crawling from pub to pub enjoying the local brews. Seek out the best beer gardens in the city when the sun shines and don’t forget to pay a visit to The Tetley, now an art gallery and bar on the site of the former famous brewery.
It’s Home to One of England’s Most Iconic Festivals
If you’re at all interested in music, chances are you’ve at least lusted after the line-up at Leeds festival once in your life. Championing the best in indie, rock and metal music, Bramham Park is taken over every August bank holiday weekend with music fans from all across the country.
There’s a Real Sense of History
From the ruins of Kirkstall Abbey to the perfectly preserved Temple Newsam stately home, Leeds is filled with reminders of the history of England. History buffs will enjoy wandering around the city and its outskirts seeking out the most important structures, but anyone with a passing interest in architecture can admire the beautiful buildings around the city centre.
You can shop in Victorian arcades
Leeds is great for shopping with a variety of designer, high street and independent stores scattered across the city centre. What makes shopping in Leeds more special than your usual high street are its beautiful Victorian arcades, filled with beautifully preserved mosaics, tiles and stained glass windows. You can easily find yourself distracted from the shops by the architecture.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.