It can be difficult sometimes to escape city life, especially when you live and work there. In Leeds though, you never have to go far without seeing some greenery as there are truly fantastic parks and gardens tucked away in the urban landscape. We’ve listed the best ones that that will make you feel like you’re taking a country stroll within the heart of Yorkshire.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Roundhay Park is great for so many reasons: it’s huge, spectacularly beautiful, surrounded by quaint country pubs and home to the fantastic Tropical World. If you want a day out we recommend starting at Tropical World to check out the meerkats, tropical birds, butterflies, reptiles and even a crocodile! Tickets are a bargain at £5 and you can easily spend a morning ambling through this spectacular slice of paradise. Afterwards head to one of the many surrounding pubs for a proper pub lunch before strolling through Roundhay’s 700 acres of parks, lakes and woodland. Alternatively, pack a picnic on a sunny day and find one of the many secluded glades tucked away in pockets of woodland to enjoy a relaxing afternoon away from the city.
Whenever the sun comes out, Woodhouse Moor comes alive in the most spectacular fashion. Located in between the universities, these fields are hugely popular during the summer months. If you are a student then you are probably already familiar with Woodhouse by its other name ‘Hyde Park’, but if not then don’t feel excluded; the park is also hugely popular with local residents and is a great place to take a blanket and a book for the afternoon. Woodhouse Moor isn’t just for summer however, as every 5th November they hold a spectacular bonfire and fireworks display where you can treat yourself to toffee apples, crepes, donuts and ice cream whilst watching the spectacle. Again, the park comes to life so it’s worth getting down early with a couple of beers to find your spot next to the bonfire.
Opening hours: Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs 8am-4:30pm, Fri 8am-4pm and closed at the weekend.
The outskirts of the city may be pretty green, but as you get into the centre green spots are hard to come by. That’s why Park Square is a treasured gem nestled right in the heart of the business and financial district. It has historical significance being a Georgian Square, and is therefore surrounded by classic architecture that transports it away from the urban surroundings. Park Square is a dedication to meticulous landscaping and care and is always immaculate. If you work in the City then this is the place to lunch or just take a break and enjoy the scenery. The historical architecture also makes it a must visit for any tourist looking to see a little something different during a day trip or city break.
Built in 1975, Harewood House is a member of The Treasure Houses of England and is a great example of beautiful historical architecture. It is one of the Britain’s most treasured stately homes and is surrounded by over 100 acres of award-winning, lovingly maintained garden to get lost in. The excitingly named Himalayan Garden and Walled Garden are hugely popular and the Bird Garden is home to many exotic species including penguins, flamingos and parrots. The house itself is also home to several art collections, books, sculptures, ceramics, wallpapers and much more. With regular buses from the city centre the park is easily accessible and a highly recommended day out. There are events running throughout the year so it’s worth checking the website before you visit.
Opening Hours: daily 10am – 6pm
Tucked away in the developed urban area of Meanwood you can find a little strip of woodland locally known as ‘The Ridge’. If you are local to Meanwood and Headingly you may already know of this park but if not then it is definitely worth a visit. Notable for its mature woodland, Victorian bandstand, WWII air raid shelter and packhorse bridge, this little strip of countryside is the perfect escape for anyone feeling suffocated by the urban surroundings. Woodhouse ridge forms part of the Meanwood Valley Trail, a 7 mile walking route for the more ambitious walkers among you. If seven miles sounds a bit much then just join the trail at the ridge to soak up the beautiful greenery and spectacular grasslands that overlook Chapel Allerton and Roundhay.
Opening Hours: daily
Yorkshire Sculpture Park
If you have lived in Leeds for longer than a year and not visited the Yorkshire Sculpture Park then now is the time! Accessible by bus from Wakefield, the sculpture park is a little out of the city but still an essential visit for anyone looking to witness some of the beautiful Yorkshire countryside. The clue is in the name as this is literally a park full of truly spectacular sculptures by renowned artists such as Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth. There is also an indoor museum and a rotation of exhibitions so it’s always worth checking what’s on before you visit. Packing a picnic is certainly recommended as the park is huge and requires at least a full day to appreciate. Watch out for the shell grotto, tucked away next to the lake and the birdhouse which gives you an idyllic view of undisturbed wildlife. Admission is free but you have to pay for parking so it’s worth looking into travelling by bus.
Opening Hours: daily 10am-5pm
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.