There’s no doubt that the Cornish love beer, and there is no finer way to spend a sunny afternoon than in a beer garden overlooking the sea with a pint of the good stuff. Even better if that pint has been brewed in county. There are more independent breweries in Cornwall than you can shake a stick at, but here are the finest of a very fine bunch.
Rebel Brewing Co.
The Rebel Brewing Co., based in Penryn, is a small but mighty independent brewery with a range of super tasty beers. Whether you’re into light IPAs or fancy yourself a chocolate stout for a cosy winter bevvie, there’s a deep and complicated taste for everyone.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dynamite Valley Brewing Co.
Dynamite Valley Brewing started as a recipe experimentation in a porter cabin in the middle of nowhere. The result was some super fine tasting beers, and the brewers, Dom Lilly and Ross Kessell, started a Crowdfunder campaign to expand upon these flavours and to move into a purpose-built building between Truro and Falmouth. Thanks to donations from all over the world, Dynamite is now one of the most successful indy breweries in Cornwall. Saturdays are the main event here, when they open their Beer Cafe for afternoons of Cornish Real Ales paired with some really good food.
Black Flag Brewery
Black Flag does things a little different to most in that they do everything by hand. From the bottling to the mashing, everything is done with love. All of their beers are unfiltered and unpasteurized, as they believe it’s pointless to spend time putting flavour into beer just to take it back out. They frequently have one-off and seasonal beers in addition to their core batches, so keep an eye on the site for saisons, bitters and stouts.
Harbour Brewing Company
Harbour isn’t just a brewery, it’s a way of life. Just outside of Padstow, these brewers take the whole process of brewing very seriously, indeed, but that includes spending the afternoon surfing if the swell is good or taking a break from “the grind” to skate the in-house ramp. They believe that life should be good, and this comes through in every single one of their beers.
Wheal Maiden Brewery
Now, the stuff that comes out of Wheal Maiden ain’t exactly beer, but this fiery ginger beer still deserves a special mention. Grandma’s Weapons Grade Ginger Beer will knock your socks off and then some. Drink on a cold winter day to warm yourself from the inside out.
It’s not an article about breweries in Cornwall without a mention of the Blue Anchor in Helston, for here is the home of Spingo ale. Spingo comes in three strengths, but all will render you legless if you’re not careful. It’s an acquired taste with a killer hangover if you go too far. Remember, if you find yourself Spingo’d, you have been warned.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.