With the world opening up post-pandemic, many travellers are eager to hop on the first plane to far-flung destinations like Indonesia or Argentina. However, if there’s one thing we’ve learnt over the last two years, sustainable travel is the future. 57 per cent of UK travellers plan to travel in an ecoconscious way over the next 12 months, according to a 2022 survey from Booking.com. There’s nowhere better for a sustainable staycation than Cornwall, home to luxurious ecoresorts, adventurous activities and excellent food, just a four hour train ride from London.
If you’re feeling inspired and want to explore more incredible destinations, check out our own selection of trips from around the world.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It was a wild, blustery day when I turned up on Mawgan Porth beach. There wasn’t the bluebird skies and small peeling waves that I’d imagined for my surf lesson with KingSurf, part of a two-day package with Bedruthan Hotel & Spa. The sea-facing hot tub back at the hotel seemed infinitely more appealing than the turbulent ocean in front of me. Still, my surf instructor Toby greeted me with a cheery smile. “You ready to get out there?” He could tell I was apprehensive. “It’s good to surf in all conditions, then you’ll be better prepared when the clean waves roll in.”
I already surf fairly regularly, so we started with a recap on the beach where Toby gave me a few handy pointers. However, lessons can be tailored to any ability – from complete beginners to seasoned riders. Soon, we were grabbing our boards and paddling out beyond the breaking waves. Right away, I take a couple of tumbles. That’s the beauty of surfing, just when you think you’ve cracked it, a huge set will roll through and wash your insides out with saltwater, leaving you slipping around on your board like a drunk seal. It’s a test of willpower. If you can withstand the cold fingers, salt spray in your face, and aching arms, then you’re treated to the ultimate reward: that feeling of flying down the face of a wave. After a few more misses, I catch a chunky three-footer that spits me out further down the beach. I make my way back out to Toby with a huge grin on my face. It’s addictive. I paddle out again and again, until my arms feel like spaghetti.
Thirty minutes later, I’m finally in that giant hot tub back at the Bedruthan Hotel. The place has a distinctly retro vibe, originally designed in 1959 to echo desert houses in California. Think pop art fabrics and 60s style ball chairs, albeit the spa wouldn’t look out of place at any five-star resort. It’s perfect for a sustainable getaway as everything is within walking distance. The golden sands of Mawgan Porth beach are just a five-minute stroll downhill, backed by a pub, village shop, cafe, boutiques, and, of course, KingSurf. You can even bring your dog. The hotel itself has long been committed to environmental protection; the founder, Peter, installed solar panels decades ago and cultivated his own market garden, which used to supply the hotel kitchen. Today, its green credentials can be spotted in the finer details – from the organic Green People suncream sold in the spa to the rainwater that’s used to flush the toilets.
While Bedruthan is a family-friendly hotel, I hardly noticed; there’s enough adults-only spaces to keep child-free travellers away from noisy little ones – from the tranquil spa to The Herring restaurant. The latter was a real highlight. Dim lighting and Scandi-style furnishings create an upscale, intimate atmosphere, perfect for dinner with your other half. The contemporary menu is based around local, sustainable Cornish produce. Expect tapas-style starters (like Cornish crab with pickled ginger and coriander), followed by a choice of fish, meat or vegetarian main. I went for the bouillabaisse served with local mussels, focaccia crisp, Cornish gouda and saffron. We finished the day blissfully relaxed, well-fed and ready for bed – although I was still thinking about that final wave I’d caught.
Next morning, while tucking into freshly baked pastries and hot coffee over breakfast in the Wild Café, I could see the waves rolling in again. I checked my watch. Time for another surf?
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa offers two-night Surf Breaks from £420, based on two adults, including a surf lesson with KingSurf, use of the spa facilities, daily breakfast and dinner at The Herring restaurant.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.