With so much inspiration surrounding the South West, from stunning coastlines to wild moors, it’s no wonder that there are a wealth of quirky boutique clothing shops on every corner and hidden in every back street. Step away from the high street and put your money back into the local economy with these independent boutique clothing stores in SW England.
Bibi & Mac, Salcombe
A small country store on the shore in Salcombe, Bibi & Mac is known for their beautiful suede and leather jackets and comfortable and casual luxury cashmere. Their range is beautiful, bohemian, colourful and fits right in with the laidback Devon attitude.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Anna Lizzio, Tetbury
Chosen by Vogue as one of Britain’s best boutiques, Anna Lizzio in the Cotswolds is a store of exquisite taste. It’s difficult to walk in and not buy something, even harder to stop yourself from grabbing everything and running into the corrugated changing rooms to adorn yourself in fabulous clothing. Everything is casual but slightly offbeat, chic but a bit too kitsch to be classic.
Vintage stores are so in right now, but most of them are a musky mess of items in various states, only really useful for fancy dress. Not in Poot. Poot stocks a huge range of handpicked goodies from all eras – from 20s flapper dresses to 70s boho, there’s something in this little and beautiful shop for everyone. All items of clothing are checked for their durability, so you’ll be able to wear your purchase and not worry about sequins dropping to the floor on its first outing.
Coco Blue Boutique, Taunton
Taunton isn’t exactly known as a fashion-forward town, but better acquainted with drivers stopping at Taunton Deane service station on the M5 when travelling in and out of the South West. Coco Blue is a collaboration of two sisters who just couldn’t find the clothes they wanted in Devon, and took on a “if you want something done properly, you might as well do it yourself,” attitude. And so became Coco Blue Boutique. The clothes they stock wouldn’t look out of place in high fashion Paris, but also twin well with Somerset’s outdoors lifestyle.
Tucked away in a quiet area of Clifton, Heartfelt is a lovely little vintage clothing shop lit up by chandeliers and decorated with flea market finds. Here you can find elaborate costume jewellery, jewel encrusted Gatsby dresses, leather handbags, top hats, silk shoes and gorgeous sunglasses. Mandy the owner also has her own clothing label, hosts vintage tea parties in the shop, and also hosts music nights. If Heartfelt isn’t enough character for one person, sister shop Wild At Heart has recently opened in the centre of town which has a hair salon, holistic beauty treatments, an in-house florist and cafe, complete with professional barista.
Prey is all about big colours, bold patterns and brazen fashion statements. The owners, Geraldine and John, who opened Prey in Bath in 2003, showcase designers who have a background in textiles, so expect to see a lot of Orla Kiely in store. Be sure to rummage through the rails if you do visit, as there are often loads of hidden gems hidden between the swathes of fabric. Upstairs is also worth a look, and Prey’s very own range of soaps, stationary and homeware are to die for.
Drop in to Sue Nurse’s vintage emporium and you’ll be wowed by the vast array of stuff which has accumulated here. Revival is far more than just a secondhand outlet store, and Sue has been reviving clothes for the past 30 years. Here you will find gowns, jewellery hats, and footwear, some of which have been claimed from old country houses dotted around the South Hams countryside.
Juste Moi, Dartmouth
For beautiful and indulgent underwear in Devon, look no further than Juste Moi in Dartmouth. With a huge range of bright and beautiful ranges from the likes of Aubade, Lise Charmel and Seafolly, as well as many others, shoppers are spoilt for choice. There’s a great range of swimwear too, perfect for if you’ve forgotten your bathers on your summer holiday.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.