It takes a lot of money, passion, and dedication to put together a truly impressive art collection. Given that, it’s not something that just anybody can do. Celebrities, of course, are not just anybody, and some of them have put a lot into the art that they love in addition to the work that they do. Here are seven celebrities with the best art collections.
Kanye is just one of those guys who never ceases to surprise you. He has conquered the world of music with a diverse and at times revolutionary set of albums, he’s done plenty of work in the fashion world, but on top of that he’s also an art collector. He actually studied painting on his way to becoming a college dropout, and many of his albums are decked out in covers by artists like Takashi Murakami and George Condo. Like with music, one of Kanye’s great strengths in art lies in his ability to choose worthy collaborators – so when he delves into the world of art videos to showcase his musical talents, he often does so with some of the best art film directors.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Speaking of Kanye’s collaborators, Jay Z is more than just that – the two of them share a great love of art. It is perhaps no surprise that a rapper who once said ‘I just want a Picasso in my casa, no, my castle’ in his song Picasso Baby would amass an impressive art collection once he had the means to do so. He and Beyoncé have put together a collection that is reportedly worth millions. They also have a very broad range in their tastes, which include modern favorites and more classic artists—although we can be sure that even if he raps about it, he isn’t actually ‘sleeping every night next to the Mona Lisa’.
The son of wealthy Iraqi Jews who escaped to London in 1947, Charles Saatchi had a privileged childhood that allowed him to develop a love of art even when he was young. He began his art collection with the purchase of a minimalist painting at age 26, and since then he’s put together enough art to start his own museum – literally. He opened the Saatchi Gallery in 1985, which has since then been instrumental in showcasing some of the finest young artists in Britain. In 2010, he gifted the gallery and more than 200 paintings to the public, which goes along with his chosen charity – supporting the Young British Artists group.
She has an album called Art Pop, so you probably expected Lady Gaga to end up on this list. She’s not one for traditional art, but it is definitely one of her great passions, along with music and philanthropy. Her collection includes works by Leigh Bowery and Francesco Vezzoli, among others, and she’s a supporter of the Watermill Center, an artists’ colony in the Hamptons. She has been known to attend their benefits, which include avant garde art like body painting and performance art – which is something that might also describe much of what Lady Gaga does herself.
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
When Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie secretly got married in 2014 after many years and many children together, their friends knew to buy them works of art as wedding gifts. Their chateau in Southern France is quickly turning into a sort of private gallery. Part of this is specifically thanks to Dom Pattinson, a British urban artist who is a good friend of Brad Pitt. He helped them to design the interior and also gave them a number of original paintings, which are reminiscent of Banksy’s style. Perhaps it makes sense that one of the world’s most beautiful couples would want to make their own personal world even more beautiful.
Within the art world, Madonna is almost as well known for being a collector as she is for her music. Her collection is worth about $100 million and includes artists as well known as Frida Kahlo, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, and Damien Hirst (whose career, incidentally, Charles Saatchi helped launch). This collection has acted as quite the investment, increasing her net worth quite significantly. While she hasn’t always been unselfish with her art – she refused to lend her Frida Kahlo work to a museum that wanted to display it – she has in the past sold paintings and then donated the proceeds to various charities.
While he may be most famous as a basketball player, Grant Hill has also dedicated a lot of time and energy to building up one of the most impressive collections of African American art in the world. As this is a great passion of his, he does his best to share it. He recently took it on a tour of seven cities, including a stop at the Nasher Museum at Duke University, his alma mater and the university where he won two national championships. His collection includes works by Romare Bearden and Elizabeth Catlett, and Hill also created a scholarship along with the exhibition to fund students who were interested in pursuing artistic degrees.
By Lani Seelinger
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.