Kiev’s art galleries and museums evolved far beyond the regular exhibition centres a long time ago. They are cultural platforms that promote local art, hold numerous lectures and artsy events, and attract citizens and tourists alike with their vivid diversity and creativity. These are the venues of the Ukrainian intellectuals, who wil introduce you the cultural life of the country in the best way.
Mystetskyi Arsenal is a National Art and Culture Museum Complex and one of the largest museums in Kiev. Monthly, it welcomes various art exhibitions, performances, festivals, music concerts, and, of course, museum exhibitions. The museum also serves as the main location for Ukrainian Fashion Week and becomes a mecca for the most stylish citizens and bloggers of the Ukrainian capital. It is a real crime to come to Kiev and miss any of the inspiring exhibitions at Mystetskyi Arsenal.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Museum of Western and Oriental Art
In the very heart of Kiev, close to the cosy Taras Shevchenko Park, one can pop into the Museum of Western and Oriental Art. Its founders Bohdan and Varvara Khanenko were Ukrainian patrons. They used to live in an amazing mansion in the Renaissance style on Tereshchenkisvaka Street, where, nowadays, the richest collection of foreign art in Ukraine can be found. The collection of the gallery has 25,000 works, but the core of it is the personal collection of former owners of the mansion.
PinchukArtCentre is considered the main exhibition space for contemporary art in Ukraine. The centre is located in a six-story building, four floors of which are occupied with exhibitions and installations. The gallery is open every single day from 12 pm to 9 pm and is definitely a favorite place for local youth. For them, it is practically the only opportunity to get acquainted with the projects of not only local but also foreign artists of the 21st century. On the sixth floor of the building, there’s one of the best spots for coffee in Kiev called One Love Espresso Bar.
Kiev National Museum of Russian Art
For almost a century now, it has been the largest collection of Russian art in Ukraine, since the Kiev National Museum of Russian Art opened in 1922. The collection includes more than 12,000 paintings in 30 halls, along with sculptures, graphic arts, and crafts. It introduces visitors to the Russian icon painting of the 13th-17th centuries, as well as the collection of masterpieces by artists from the 12th century, realism, and Art Nouveau periods, and continuing up to today.
National Art Museum of Ukraine
National Art Museum of Ukraine
In the museum’s displays, there are masterpieces of Ukrainian painting, sculpture, and graphics from the era of Kievan Rus to modern times. Despite the fact that the museum was built in 1899, the official opening took place only in 1904. Initially, the museum’s collection was augmented with various items from private collections thanks to the efforts of numerous Kyiv patrons, and later it was extended to an impressive 40,000 works.
Contemporary Art Center M17
Contemporary Art Center M17 is not just a gallery, but a cultural platform. In addition to exhibitions, it often holds lectures, concerts, design events, and fashion shows. In constant collaboration with international artists, Contemporary Art Center M17 is looking to become the core of the contemporary cultural life of the capital, and hence it has been enthusiastically promoting Ukrainian artists and their work since 2010. It is a space that has already hosted the most prominent local contemporary artists such as Aleksandr Rojtburd, Petro Bevza, and Ivan Marchuk, the latter having been featured in The Daily Telegraph‘s list of the Top 100 living geniuses.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.