In Ukraine, the cities fascinate with their ancient history and great sights, the Carpathian Mountains attract tourists during wintertime holidays, and the south of Ukraine is a perfect place for parties and beach resorts. Yet, this is not everything that Ukraine has to offer. There are also adorable villages that boast incredible nature and fabulous locations – here are the villages that should be at the top of your must-visit list.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The picturesque Kolochava is one of the longest villages in Ukraine. It is 9.3 miles (15 km) long. Despite being quite small, the Carpathian outback can boast of ten museums, mineral water sources, and unbelievable mountain views. The Tereblya River and its tributary Kolochavka flow through the village. In addition to beautiful nature, the village has an ancient history, since the first written mention of it dates back to 1463. Aesthetic pleasure and a lot of discoveries are guaranteed when visiting Kolochava.
The village of Dzembronya is often called the place where the clouds are born, because it is the highest mountain settlement in Ukraine. Stunning landscapes, clean fresh air, and dense forests make Dzembronya the center of green tourism. It is a place where you can enjoy the silence far from life in the big city. In addition, as the the village is in the Carpathians, it is not so easy to get there, since it is located far away from major roads. But the scenery is incredible.
This settlement became famous for the nearby Lake Synevir – one of the seven natural wonders of Ukraine. It is located at an altitude of 1,145 meters (3,756 feet) above sea level. It is a great place to come for a weekend: there are many cottages where you can stay while you taste Transcarpathian dishes in the local restaurants and explore the surroundings. The National Nature Park Synevir is the place to visit for sure.
Braha is situated on the banks of the Dniester River, opposite one of the most ancient and significant fortifications in the history of Ukraine – Khotyn Fortress. Moreover, the village lies within the territory of the Podilski Tovtry National Park, yet another adorable area. Here you can come to rent a boat and enjoy the view of the neighboring villages, as well as stay in a private cottage overnight.
Kvasy is encircled by high mountains, so people live not only in the lowland but also in the hills distant from the center of the village. Therefore, tourists are usually surprised when they see light in the houses. Who can imagine that locals can have a dwelling on the slope? It is also close to the ski resort of Drahobrat – a favorite place for Ukrainian freeriders.
Lazeshchyna, like many other villages in the Carpathians, welcome the adherents of green tourism in the summertime, and skiers and boarders during the winter. The prices for accommodation and food here are moderate, and the distance to the ski resorts is really close. It is just 11 miles (18 km) to Drahobrat, and 13 miles (20 km) to Bukovel. The main attraction in Lazeshchyna is the Church of the Transfiguration, built in 1780.
The best ski resort in Bukovel is located near the village with the name Polyanytsya. It is located 920 meters (3,018 feet) above sea level, so the ski season here lasts from November to mid-April. It has a greatly developed infrastructure, thereby attracting thousands of tourists annually. If you’re not a fan of winter activities, there’s a VODA club resort where you can relax at the spa.
Yasinia is the closest settlement to the mountain ski resort of Drahobrat. For this reason, there is always a large number of tourists here. Furthermore, travelers visit Yasinia to come to discover the unique Hutsul culture and cuisine. It is also an easy departure point to the best hiking trails in Western Ukraine – in the Petros and Hoverla mountains. In terms of sights, you can visit the Church of the Ascension, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The village of Chervone, which is in the Zhytomyr region, was founded in 1624 by the Brest-Lithuanian governor Yan Tishkovich. But later, the village was owned by the Tereshchenkos – the Ukrainian sugar magnate family. The real pearl of the settlement is the Tereshchenko Castle and a beautiful manor park with a lake. Unfortunately, today it is in a half-ruined condition and belongs to the Monastery of the Nativity of Christ. But still, it’s worth seeing.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.