The craft-beer movement has gained significant momentum in Istanbul in recent years, with numerous local breweries and pubs popping up across the city. After a high-paced day in Turkey’s cultural capital, wind down with a pint of beer at one of these excellent venues.
An increasing demand for unique flavours of beer has seen local breweries boom across Istanbul. With a wide range of classic brews and lighter options suitable for summer months, Istanbul’s beer scene no longer falls short when compared to other metropolitan areas. Istanbulite Bala Gürcan lists the best places in her city to get a pint.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Populist is a long-standing resident of the Bomontiada complex (an old brewery-turned-entertainment centre). A popular craft brewery and eatery with a lively atmosphere, this three-storey bar includes a DJ station set in a bright orange Volkswagen van. The bar has a rotating selection of 12 beers on tap from its “Torch” range, which includes a red ale, smoked ale, IPA, stout and wheat beer, alongside more experimental options like the Tonka Bean Stout and Honey Pepper Ale.
Tucked behind the metro station in residential Gayrettepe, the Bosphorus Brewing Company (BBC) is one of Istanbul’s few brewpubs. Created in 2012 by one Turkish partner and a British couple, BBC’s beers are made from hops brought from Norfolk, England – meaning the brews here can be pricey. A quintessential English pub, BBC serves classic British food, including shepherd’s pie, sausages and fish and chips. First-time visitors are offered tasters on a tray and get to pick their favourite beer. The brewpub’s Brew 81 pale ale is a crowd favourite, yet those who like stronger flavours can opt to try its creamy stout beer, Karbon.
Now spread across various locations in Istanbul, Ayı Pub, which translates to ‘Bear Pub’, originally gained popularity through its hip Moda location on Istanbul’s Anatolian side. It boasts an impressive list of beer from various countries and also hosts several DJ performances every month – so come prepared to dance.
Beer Hall, located in the trendy Akaretler district, is a popular spot among young residents. Featuring a quirky festival theme, the bar’s interior decor includes mini fast-food trucks, popcorn carts, retro neon signs and long picnic tables. Alongside lots of classic options on tap and in bottles, Beer Hall’s aptly named ‘Beer Cocktails’ include the Beergarita, Frozen Beer and Beer Sangria. The low prices and easy-going vibe mean it is never easy to find free spots at its communal tables – so arrive early to bag a place.
Enjoy your beer while taking in stunning views of the Bosporus at Taps Bebek, a bar housed in a three-storey mansion on the seaside. This cheerful venue has upbeat music blaring through its speakers and soccer games on its TV all day. Taps Bebek was one of the first craft breweries in Istanbul and helped spearhead the craft-beer movement in the city.
Among the most established spots in the central district of Beşiktaş, Joker No:19 is a bar with a relaxed vibe. With another branch, Joker No:5, based in stylish Nişantaşı, Joker has secured its spot as a town favourite. Offering a variety of food and beer alternatives, the bar has something for everyone’s taste. Although the space might seem small from outside, there is a spacious outdoor area at the back suitable for larger groups.
Another classic pub in the Kadıköy neighbourhood, Zeplin is also an Istanbul favourite, meaning it is always full on weekends. However, its laid-back atmosphere and extensive beer varieties always make it worth the trip (even with the crowds). The thing that makes Zeplin really stand out is its food, with dishes such as collard green salad with quinoa, mac ‘n’ cheese, shepherd’s pie and tacos available.
Another pub in the Akaretler neighbourhood, Craft Beer Lab has made a name for itself with a menu of over 100 award-winning brands of craft beer from around the world. Its space looks small from the outside, so the magnificent garden inside might catch you off guard. The knowledgeable staff here will be able to help you pair your food with the perfect beer – although the loaded nachos with a Marston’s Pedigree amber ale comes highly recommended.
This article is an updated version of a story created by Mariam Gabaji.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.