Cihangir And Çukurcuma are two neighbourhoods in Beyoğlu where you can get away from the hustle and bustle of Istanbul. From coffee and cake to breakfast and Turkish delights, you can experience all kinds of culinary feats nestled away in these historic streets. Check out the following 10 places you definitely don’t want to miss.
“Fast-slow food” is Datlı Maya‘s core value. It enthusiastically prepares authentic Anatolian cuisines in an 80 year old wood oven, and connects the idea of healthy eating to the customers. That’s why most of the ingredients are organic and from fair trade and sustainable sources because Datlı Maya wishes to revive lost Anatolian cuisines, but at no price to mother Earth’s resources. Serving all kinds of delights (from kebabs to hot pots) from their open kitchen, you can watch the process of ingredient to dish from start to finish.
Address: Firuzağa Mah. Türkgücü Cad. No: 59/A Cihangir Beyoğlu Istanbul, 34425 Istanbul +90 212-292-9056-57
Upon entering Jash Istanbul, pause for a moment to take everything in, for this truly is an Aladdin’s cave of Cihangir wonders. Every wall is adorned with historical art, every surface is covered in culturally significant knick knacks, everywhere you look something catches your eye, from old gramophones to grandfather clocks. The owner, Mari, will often come to your table to introduce herself and give her opinions on the menu highlights. Don’t be surprised if, whilst eat a mezze and beautiful Armenian cuisine, you find yourself serenaded as live musicians are a regular fixture at this unique and immensely enjoyable restaurant.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Address: Pürtelaş Mah. Cihangir Cad. No:9 Beyoğlu, Istanbul, Turkey +90 212-244-3042
49 Çukurcuma incorporates Turkish elements into its speciality, pizza. Using the freshest regional ingredients, it presents a high quality of authentic Italian dishes. You definitely have to try its signature pizza, Pizza 49, made with mozzarella, wild thyme and Turkish pastrami atop their homemade sauce. Well known for its wine collection too, 49 Çukurcuma proves you don’t have to visit the motherland for really good pizza with all the trimmings.
Address: Turnacıbaşı sokak no:49/A, Beyoglu, Turkey +90 212-249-0048
If you’re a traveller who, despite your adventurous spirit, can’t help but miss the comforts of home. Well, if you’re in Istanbul head over to Journey, which is adorned with comfy armchairs and bookshelves crammed with good reads. This 70s vibe cafe has all the comforts of home you so sorely miss. Using mostly ingredients from local farms and growers, the food here is definitely made mindfully, and with all the love of home cooked fare. Journey is the perfect place to relax after a stressful day.
Address: Akarsu Cad. No:21/a Cihangir Beyoğlu İstanbul +90 212-244-8989
Originally from Marmaris, a small town located in the south west of Turkey, Pell’s Café chooses the best ingredients from local producers to create its famous breakfast dishes. Highlights include traditionnal Turkish dishes Menemen (made with eggs, tomato, green peppers and spices served with bread) and Gozleme (flatbread folded over savoury fillings in French crepe-style). Instead of having only small tables, Pell’s Café is adorned with large tables to encourage group-mingling over breakfast. So while enjoying some of the best breakfast in Istanbul, you might even make a friend or two.
Address: Cihangir Yeni Yuva Sokak No:18/B Beyoglu, Istanbul, Turkey +90 212-351-6072
Susam Café offers a little bit of everything. With large, comfy armchairs and living-room-inspired decor, it’s the perfect place to chill with a good book and a cup of their delicious coffee. It provides free wifi and large oak tables, so it’s also a great destination for workaholics who need to get away from the distractions of home and really knuckle down. You can stay here as long as you like, as it’s open until 2am every day. As the day progresses, this ultra-cool café transitions into an even cooler jazz bar with DJs at the weekend. Come for the breakfast and stay til the drinks, you’ll never want to leave this trendy café-bar.
Address: Susam Sokak no 11 Cihangir Beyoğlu, 34433 Istanbul, Turkey +90 212-251-5995
Holy Coffee stands out from other cafés in Beyoglu as it brews excellent coffee and serves home-baked cakes. The European style café provides you with an array of coffees to choose from, and a simple and tranquil environment to take a rest. An array of breakfast and brunch dishes are also available, should you feel peckish for more than cake.
Address: Kuloglu Mah. Hacioglu Sok. No:1B Cukurcuma, Beyoglu, 34425 Istanbul, Turkey +90 212-243-6869
Coffee enthusiasts will love Kronotrop. Striving for the finest coffee, Kronotrop is renowned for its high standard of coffee beans, and specializes in various roasting techniques. But the variety doesn’t stop there: you can also brew your coffee in every way imaginable, from moka pot and french press to aeropress and chemex. This incredible attention to detail covers the whole process, from the roasting and brewing right down the beautiful latte art in the finished cup. At Kronotrop, coffee isn’t just a beverage, it’s a thing of beauty, a work of art.
Address: Kuloğlu Mah. Firüzağa Cami Sok. No:2/B Cihangir/İstanbul, 03340 Istanbul, Turkey +90 212-249-9271
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.