Istanbul, the cultural capital of Türkiye, straddles the border of Asia and Europe. With incredible architecture, historic markets and design-led boutique hotels, we’ve planned a fun-filled few days for you to get under the skin of the former Ottoman empire and one of the most exciting cities in the world.
Although Istanbul is the most populous European city, it’s easy to explore the compact centre, helped by a combination of reliable public transport – tram, metro or ferry – and walkable routes between most major sites.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Travel from the bazaars of Istanbul to the beautiful beaches of Antalya.
The Stay Nisantasi Boulevard
Nisantasi is Istanbul’s art and fashion district, now home to the ultra-stylish The Stay Boulevard Nisantasi. Stellar Turkish architect Mahmut Anlar has created a hip hideaway home to light-filled rooms and suites with a blend of view-giving terraces, vegan-leather headboards, walk-in closets, grand marble bathrooms and handy kitchenettes. There’s a spacious feel to the rooms with a unique feature on the way up from the ground level – an AI video-mapping art installation illuminates the stairwell to great effect. Once you’ve checked in, take time to admire the gallery of art by homegrown artists such as Devrim Erbil.
Things to do in Istanbul
While you’re in this area, indulge in some shopping for authentic Turkish treats. A sister property to the Stay , The Stay Nisantasi resides nearby above a Prada store.
Another highlight of a trip to Istanbul is a traditional Turkish hammam or Turkish bath. Istanbul has some of the most beautiful in the world. Guests staying at The Stay Boulevard Nisantasi can indulge in the deeply luxurious spa spanning an entire floor with a pool and marble-and-brass-lined private hammam. A short walk from the hotel, Taksim Square in buzzy Beyoğlu, is the modern heart of Istanbul. A ten-minute walk from Taksim Metro station, I found Dürümzade – a kebab shop Anthony Bourdain famously featured in one of his travel shows. There’s even a seat dedicated to the late chef, writer and travel-show presenter, and having tasted the lamb kebab, tomato, onion, and parsley wraps, I agree with his verdict that these are some of the best in the city.
I couldn’t come to Istanbul and not cross the Golden Horn, as the Bosphorus is known, to haggle at The Grand Bazaar which snakes around a vast area inside the walled part of Fatih. One of the oldest and largest covered markets in the world, over 4,000 stalls and stores sell everything from authentic Turkish rugs to glittering gold jewellery and questionable Gucci handbags. It’s a challenge to explore the entire labyrinthine site, so head here early in the day and narrow your focus to a few choice items. Then find a café for a refreshing Turkish tea served in a traditional tulip glass.
While you’re in the area, explore two of the most important landmarks in the city – the incredible mosques that dominate the skyline. The Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet), famed for the beautiful blue tiles and minarets that make this the most iconic site in Istanbul, faces Hagia Sophia, the largest cathedral in the world converted to a mosque during the Ottoman Empire. I went during Ramadan and it’s worth noting that outside of prayer times, everyone is welcome to visit.
The longer you spend in Istanbul, the more you want to get to know the different neighbourhoods. I took the advice of a local and went for a bite to eat at a historic and elegant waterfront hotel in Istanbul’s waterfront Bebek district, Bebek Hotel by The Stay. In 2019, the property was taken over by The Stay Hotels who injected a new lease of life into the 1950s grande dame. It’s the perfect spot for a relaxed lunch filled with local and seasonal dishes as watching the boats criss-cross the Bosphorus; the exquisitely designed bedrooms have the feel of cosy-but-luxe railway carriages.
The Stay Bosphorus
In the heart of Istanbul’s vibrant Ortakoy neighbourhood, next to the Bosphorus Bridge which connects Europe and Asia, The Stay Bosphorus is a 19th-century mansion reimagined as a stylish 26-room city retreat. The views of the Bosphorus Bridge and neighbouring Ortakoy Mosque from my balcony made it hard to leave this final stop on my Istanbul trip in lively area home to restaurants where you can taste some of the best seafood in Istanbul. Taking a stroll along the riverside where historic houses blend with busy street food joints, was my reward for stepping out.
My multi-hotel city break meant I saw so much more of Istanbul’s distinct districts and historic sights than if I’d stayed in just one. I left with the strong urge to return and see more of this magnificent metropolis.
You can fly to Istanbul with Pegasus Airlines, Türkiye’s leading low-cost airline with more than 125 destinations in 49 countries from London Stansted and Manchester. With a new-generation fleet that’s one of the youngest in Europe, Pegasus is working to reduce carbon emissions in line with its net zero 2050 target. Add Pegasus Flex to your booking for pre-departure changes without charges and download the Pegasus app to manage your trip, book flights, check-in, and add boarding passes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.