You’re never far away from a good bar or pub in Amsterdam. Each neighbourhood in the city features more than its fair share of cosy, fun and bustling watering holes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While it is easy enough to find somewhere to drink Amsterdam, there are several spots around the city that merit special consideration due to their excellent menus, stunning locations and unrivalled ambience.
This sky-high bar, restaurant and nightclub stands on the eastern side of the River Amstel, and offers guests panoramic views of the city. Thanks to massive, plate-glass windows, there are many vantage points inside the venue that look out over Amsterdam. Alternatively, guests can venture out onto Canvas’s rooftop and experience the city’s skyline in the open air. During weekends, Canvas hosts club nights after 11pm, which take place inside its spectacular bar area.
This popular canal-side bar lies underneath a gigantic, spiral-shape, multi-storey car park that resembles two towering, striped barrels. The bar looks out over the Singelgracht and is surrounded by a long, spacious terrace – complete with wooden picnic tables – that draws in large crowds over summer. At night, this stunning locale is illuminated by lights that cast a dazzling reflection onto the canal, creating a festival-like vibe. Waterkant stocks many local brews, including beers from Gebrouwen door Vrouwen and Brouwerij ’t IJ. It also serves Heineken by the pitcher.
TonTon Club West
There are around 20 different coin-op arcade machines at TonTon Club West, ranging from classics Time Crisis 3 and Sega Rally to more contemporary party games such as Pac-Man Battle Royale and Bishi Bashi. Almost every machine in the arcade features peripheral controls, including light guns, steering wheels and even full-size taiko drums. TonTon Club West mainly caters to grown-ups and centres on a well-stocked bar that serves beer, cocktails and boozy milkshakes. TonTon Club also has a whole host of board games that patrons can play in the lounge or outside on the expansive terrace.
This beach hut-style bar is almost completely surrounded by water and looks as though it was built entirely out of driftwood (in a good way). Due to its incredible location and stunning waterside terraces, Hannekes Boom attracts a lot of footfall during the warmer months of the year and easily ranks among the most popular summer hang-outs in the city centre. Although it is quite difficult to spot, the bar is within walking distance from Centraal station and accessible via a scenic waterside footpath that trails past Amsterdam Central Library, Sea Palace and NEMO.
Brouwerij ’t IJ
It is possible to cram in some additional sightseeing while enjoying tasty local craft beers at this independent brewery in Amsterdam-Oost due to its proximity to the tallest windmill in the city, De Gooyer. This mammoth machine serves as the brewery’s unofficial mascot and stands proudly above Brouwerij ’t IJ’s charming, canal-side beer garden, creating a scene that wouldn’t look out of place on a postcard. The brewery has been in business for over 30 years and was among the first craft ventures to launch in the city. All of Brouwerij ’t IJ’s signature beers are available on draft inside its taproom and can be enjoyed alongside a small selection of traditional Dutch pub food.
To enter this high-end, speakeasy-style bar, patrons must ring an unmarked doorbell then wait for a server to greet and seat them. Though Bar Oldenhof offers all manners of drinks, it is famed for its superbly crafted cocktails and extensive selection of premium spirits, including whiskies, jenevers and rums. The bar itself looks absolutely stunning and features two elegantly decorated levels furnished in dark woods and velvet. Bar Oldenhof regularly hosts scotch whisky tasting sessions, where participants get to learn about the history of distilling while sampling the famous tipple.
’t Blauwe Theehuis
This multi-tier, disc-shape café lies in the centre of Vondelpark and features an enormous, two-storey terrace that ranks among the largest buildings of its kind in Europe. The café was completed in the 1930s and was designed according to ideas drawn from Nieuwe Zakelijkheid – a school of pragmatic, Modernist architecture that emerged in the Netherlands during the early 20th century. Due to its expansive outdoor seating area (that overlooks the most popular park in the city), ’t Blauwe Theehuis becomes particularly popular during sunny spells. Thankfully, the café can accommodate around 700 people and features two separate bars.
De Pilsener Club
This down-to-earth pub has plenty to offer anyone searching for a peaceful spot to enjoy an afternoon beer in Central Amsterdam. Even though it is located right next to the busiest shopping street in the city, the Kalverstraat, it usually remains relatively quiet compared to other nearby watering holes and has a distinctive, old-time charm that’s difficult to find elsewhere in the centre of town. Rather than handing out menus, De Pilsener Club displays its selection of beers, spirits and snacks on chalkboards at the back of its lounge and encourages customers to order from their table.
Amid the many specialist craft beer bars in Amsterdam, Proeflokaal Arendsnest holds the distinction of being the only spot in the city that exclusively stocks Dutch brews. As it turns out, there are over 400 breweries in the Netherlands – which makes it easy enough for Arendsnest to keep its bar stocked with an expansive range of craft beers. Like other old-school pubs in Amsterdam, Arendsnest features brown, wooden decor and displays its current beer selection on chalkboards spread around its bar. Though the bar area may appear small on first inspection, Arendsnest has additional seating downstairs and even more space outside on its canal-side terrace.
Lily Niu contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.