Due to the area’s wide range of cultural attractions, slower residential vibe and excellent bars, cafés and restaurants, it is always worth spending some time exploring the east of the city whilst visiting Amsterdam. In fact, it is entirely possible to discover many of Amsterdam-Oost’s main sites over the course of a single day and still leave time for good food, coffee and a couple of craft beers.
There are several great places to chow down on breakfast, brunch or lunchtime meals in Amsterdam-Oost and many, newer international style restaurants have sprung up along or nearby Javastraat over the past few years. For classic Dutch fare like sandwiches, cake and coffee, head over to de Jonge Admiral which is decked out in stylishly kitsch wall hangings and furniture. Looking for something a bit heartier? Then, make sure to check out Eastside which serves an impressive array of North-American staples such as fluffy pancakes, BBQ pork spare ribs and meatball subs.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
From Javastraat it is only a short walk to one of Amsterdam’s most popular street markets, Dappermarkt. The market has taken place in Amsterdam-Oost for over 100 years and always features a diverse number of stalls selling items ranging from secondhand clothing and bike parts, to spices and cosmetics.
Amsterdam-Oost is one of the greenest parts of the city and features three large parks called Oosterpark, Flevopark and Frankendael Park. While all three of these parks have plenty to offer day-trippers, Oosterpark is likely the most popular recreational ground in the east partly due to its beautiful landscaping, open lakes and wide meadows.
Oosterpark also lies adjacent to the largest museum in Amsterdam-Oost, Tropenmuseum, which houses a large collection of ethnographic artifacts and regularly organises exhibitions related to multiculturalism, immigration and international topics.
Amsterdam’s famous ‘windmill brewery‘ Brouwerij ‘t IJ opens its tap room at 14.00 and serves delicious craft beer until 20.00. The brewery is located underneath the tallest windmill in the city and is renowned for its notoriously potent trippel and dubbel beers.
While there are plenty of excellent restaurants to choose from in Amsterdam-Oost, de Kas is easily among the best fine dining establishments in the city and has one the best locations imaginable – a former municipal greenhouse. De Kas still use parts of this glass plated building to grow crops and cultivate herbs and vegetables for their menu. The restaurant mainly serves meals that are inspired by classic Mediterranean cuisine and will gladly alter dishes in order to accommodate vegetarian needs.
There are many bars located nearby de Kas, including several popular watering-holes like de Biertuin, Louie Louie or Bar Bukowksi. For a less booze-orientated evening, check out Studio K – a student run cinema on Borneostraat which screens new arthouse and mainstream films throughout the week.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.