Over the past decade, the Netherlands has experienced a substantial craft brewing boom which has led to the creation of several fantastic, independent breweries. Many of these small-scale enterprises have become exceptionally famous inside the Netherlands, whilst other have even broken into the international brewing scene. Here’s a rundown of the best craft beer producers in the Netherlands.
Kompaan has been making premium beers in the Hague since 2012, and the brewery’s first few batches sold out almost immediately. Since then, they have moved into a bigger plant and created several fantastic lines of ale, lager and witbiers. The brewery is still expanding and continues to create outstanding seasonal and regular brews from the Hague.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
📍 Kompaan Beer Bar, Saturnusstraat 55, The Hague, The Netherlands, +31 70 762 2494
Brouwerij ‘t IJ
Brouwerij ‘t IJ is located underneath the largest windmill in Amsterdam and stamps its bottles with labels featuring this iconic, Dutch machine. Due to its outstanding brews and incredible location, the brewery is a household name in the Netherlands, and many bars in Amsterdam keep Brouwer ‘t IJ beers on tap. The brewery is particularly well-known for its stronger, darker beers, like its Natte and Zatte.
📍Brouwerij ‘t IJ, Funenkade 7, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, +31 20 528 6237
Amsterdam’s Oedipus Brewery was founded by four beer loving friends that wanted to experiment and perfect their brewing capabilities. Oedipus is well known in North-Holland for its unconventional, original brews and its daring approach to brewing. Its headquarters in Amstedan-Noord features a cosy taproom that has all of Oedipus beers on tap and its team regularly organise musical and culinary events
Jopen was founded in 1992 after a group in Haarlem decided to establish a brewery that was dedicated to recreating their hometown’s historical brewing recipes. To accomplish this, they used old recipes borrowed from Haarlem’s city archives and began applying their research. Today, Jopen is a full-scale enterprise and has moved its headquarters to a church on the outskirts of Haarlem’s Medieval city centre, where its team continues to make superb lines of international and Dutch beers.
📍 Jopenkerk, Gedempte Voldersgracht 2, Haarlem, The Netherlands, +31 23 533 4114
Uiltje Brewing Company
Considering that Jopen is Uiltje Brewing Company’s main competitor, it is remarkable that this small brewery has successfully managed to chisel out a unique place within Haarlem’s craft beer scene. The company launched in 2012 and has since gone on to create several lines of tasty, imaginative beers that are all stamped with an adorable cartoon owl. Their operation is still growing and Uiltje Breweing Company recently opened a new bar in Haarlem.
As its name suggests, this brewery is located on the northern Dutch island Texel and uses local ingredients, fresh water and craftsmanship to make its delicious beers. Its seasonal ranges are always superb and include Dutch classics such as dark bocks or fruity witbiers as well as speciality brews like its Eyerlander- a smooth, amber beer that is named after Texel’s northern coast.
📍 Texelse Bierbrouwerij, Schilderweg 214, Texel, The Netherlands, +31 222 313 229
Like many craft brewers, the team behind Oersoep Brouwerij started making beer at home, and after tasting their first creations, quickly realised the potential of their small enterprise. As their venture grew, Oersoep Brouwerij moved their operation into a old honey factory in Nijmegen. Apart from conventional lagers, the brewery also experiments with its beverages and is currently working on a batch that contains Brettanomyces yeast- an unpredictable agent that gives beer a rich, unconventional flavour.
De Kaapse Brouwers
Rotterdam is fast becoming the best place in the Netherlands to experience the finer sides of Dutch cuisine. Over the past few years several innovative culinary projects have been constructed inside the city, including its massive, state-of-the-art market hall, and Fenix Food Factory. De Kaapse Brouwers can be found inside the latter location and shares the building with several other inventive enterprises. The brewery’s beers simultaneously represent Rotterdam’s distinctive charms, whilst adding modern twists to classic recipes.
📍 De Kaapse Brouwers, Veerlaan 19D, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, +31 10 218 0853
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.