Zurich is the financial and foodie capital of Switzerland. The city is notoriously expensive but you can visit without breaking the bank. These cheap hotels and hostels are just the start: the friendly staff can give you more tips on how to save your francs.
There are places you can stay to explore Zurich on a budget. With so much to see and do, you are unlikely to spend time in your hotel room. Perks such as the Zurich Card cut the cost of museum entry. If you want a wallet-preserving stay, these standout hotels have inviting rooms and offer a warm, friendly service – book a cheap hotel in Zurich with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The chic three-star Seehof hotel is located in Zurich’s trendy Seefeld district, a short walk from the opera house and Lake Zurich. The elegant rooms are clean and airy and breakfast and wifi are complimentary. If you can stretch to a meal out, try the on-site Japanese restaurant, which is popular with locals. The nearby area has a vibrant bar scene so make time to soak in the nightlife.
Ideally located in the heart of Zurich’s old town, this contemporary hotel is a five-minute walk from the railway station and the river Limmat. The intimate, 27-room property has a modern decor that is peppered with interesting works of art. Head to the restaurant’s popular Il Gattopardo for authentic Sicilian cuisine, then top off the evening at the Rössli bar, which often fills up with regulars from the nearby financial district.
Hotel Josef offers a boutique place to stay near to Zurich’s main railway station. The three-star hotel features stylish, modern rooms (complete with Nespresso machines) and free wifi. The concierge is happy to point out Zurich’s best under-the-radar foodie and shopping treasures. The café, Il Baretto, is a good place to grab a warm croissant and coffee. If you are a summer visitor, treat yourself to a yoga lesson on the sun-drenched rooftop terrace.
This four-star hotel is at the centre of the revitalised Zurich West district. Take advantage of the rooftop sauna with city views and a small fitness area. Even better, skip the workout and borrow a hotel bike to explore the city. The property is a 10-minute walk to the trendy Im Viadukt shopping area, which is housed in a series of railway arches.
This stately hotel is in the heart of the old town. Its room prices are reasonable and it has luxury extras including a pillow menu, hypoallergenic bedding and a concierge service. The lobby houses a striking portrait by Wolfgang Beltracchi, a former art forger. Bahnhofstrasse, home to some of the world’s most exclusive shopping boutiques, is a short stroll away.
The aptly named Placid hotel is in the Altstetten district, a 15-minute tram ride from the centre and away from the noise of central Zurich. Your room’s floor-to-ceiling windows give you panoramic views of the city or the Alps. Downstairs, the restaurant Buckhuser serves innovative twists on Swiss cuisine. The area is popular for cycling, so take advantage of the hotel’s free bike hire.
The polished Hotel Sternen Oerlikon is set on a busy junction in the historic Oerlikon neighbourhood. Zurich’s top attractions, such as the Bahnhofstrasse shopping district, Niederdorf and Lake Zurich, are a few minutes away by tram. The elegant but affordable Restaurant und Bar Ö features an array of Swiss specialities; don’t miss the duck breast with homemade spaetzle dumplings. On Thursdays the bar holds a prosecco tasting event. Book quickly to avoid disappointment.
This refined property dates to 1823 and its decor is a nod to the region’s cheese-making tradition. Bright, cosy rooms feature touches including coffee- and tea-making facilities and an honesty bar filled with snacks; some rooms have kitchenettes. Set in a residential area, Swiss Night is less than a five-minute walk to the Kunsthaus Zürich – with artworks from the 1200s up to the present day – and 10 minutes from the opera house and Lake Zürich.
If you are looking for an affordable, family-friendly stay in Zurich’s Altstadt, then book at the Alexander. Expect a warm welcome: it is not unusual to be greeted by the owners and their two daughters. The rooms are sparse but comfortable and feature complimentary wifi, flat-screen TVs and en-suite bathrooms. Free coffee is available at reception, and staff are always available to offer tips on the best tours and attractions.
In the heart of Zurich’s trendy district 4, Pension fürDich is a simple option located above a family-run cafe. The 18 rooms are bright and colourful but sparsely decorated. The bathrooms are shared and breakfast costs extra. If you have children in tow, book the family room, which sleeps three. FürDich is on the expensive side of budget hotels but this is made up for with the level of comfort on offer.
Zurich Youth Hostel is great to meet other travellers, eat cheap food and get a decent night’s sleep – for a price that won’t make your eyes water. Unlike many hostels , the rooms are comfortable if spartan. Dorms range from four- to six-bed with breakfast included in the price, and there are private doubles too. The hostel is 20 minutes from the main railway station and the city centre and 10 minutes from Lake Zurich.
Sean Mowbray contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.