Located in the Montreux Riviera region, the charming Swiss towns of Montreux and Vevey have it all: centuries-old castles, rolling vineyards, the snow-capped Alps and Lake Geneva – a blissful backdrop for the abundance of music, culture and fine wine you’ll discover at the region’s famous festivals.
For an unforgettable celebration steeped in Swiss tradition, this year’s top spectacle is the Fête des Vignerons. Recognised as an Intangible Cultural Heritage by UNESCO, this “Winegrowers’ Festival” has been held in Vevey’s market square since 1797 but takes place only once every 20 to 25 years. Still, it’s worth the wait. From 18 July until 11 August, the 25-day festival will present a lively variety of creative tributes to winemaking – including a music-filled extravaganza performed in a custom-built, 20,000-seat arena.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Elsewhere, the free Ville en Fête will host dozens of concerts, performances and activities and parades daily, so you can raise a glass to the world of vines and its traditions. But if you can’t wait until July to start festival hopping, the second-largest annual jazz festival in the world returns on 28 June and runs to 13 July. Montreux Jazz Festival was founded in 1967 as a jazz-only celebration, but today the festival showcases music of almost every genre, offering something for everyone. Sting, Elton John, Chick Corea, Bobby McFerrin, Quincy Jones and Janet Jackson are just some of the heavyweight acts you’ll catch this year in the mega-auditorium, but don’t miss out on the other sensational acts playing in the festival’s two other venues – the Montreux Jazz Club and the Montreux Jazz Lab.
Where can you find all things culture in August? The Vevey Street Artists Festival of course! This free, family-friendly festival, held from 23 August to 25 August in Vevey’s Old Town, features around 200 circus-esque acts over its three days. Both a jury and the audience vote on best performances – whether the artists come from around the world or around the corner. Now in its 27th year, the festival offers a wide variety of performers, meaning that the best way to enjoy it is to expect the unexpected.
Musical variety is also a big thing at the Bout D’Brousse Festival, which is held in a clearing on the edge of the forest between Puidoux and Mont-Pèlerin. Now in its 17th year, the compact music festival, which features everything from rock to reggae, will take place 14-15 June. If you’re enjoying it too much to leave, camping and on-site food and drink are as much a part of the event as the music.
But if you’re particularly into electropop – with a generous side of punk and rock – then 29-31 August is all about Nox Orae, an alternative three-day music festival that’s held on the shores of Lake Leman. The Flaming Lips and Spiritualized are this year’s crowd pullers, and are guaranteed to keep the party going well into the night.
As there’s a festival for everyone in the Montreux area, classical music lovers should keep the first week of September clear: the 70-year-young Septembre Musical lets you access Montreux’s best venues while enjoying concerts by some of the world’s finest symphonies and ensembles. Auditorium Stravinski, Théâtre de Vevey and even the popular Chillon Castle will host performances during this festival from 1 September to 9 September.
However, when the summer ends in Montreux Riviera, the festivals don’t. Taking place from 28 November to 3 December, the Montreux Comedy Festival wraps up the year with plenty of laughs from well-known and rising stars on the comedy circuit. So no matter when you visit the region, expect to enjoy art and culture to the fullest.
Looking for a place to stay in Montreux Vevey?
Inspired by music and culture, the trendy Tralala Hôtel gives a nod to the Montreux Jazz Festival with rooms and suites dedicated to artists who’ve contributed to the local scene. The decor is just as charming, with bold designs marking the Tralala as a modern, avant-garde destination for guests looking for a break from the norm.
Inspired to plan a memorable trip to Switzerland? Discover the best of the Montreux Riviera this summer.
This branded content article was published as part of a commercial campaign that has now ended.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.