Home to the International Olympic Committee, Lake Geneva and a stunning Gothic cathedral, Lausanne boasts a rich history, abundant nature and a lively youth culture. It’s also brimming with high-end hotels and boutique heritage properties. Find the best hotels in Lausanne below.
The fifth biggest city in Switzerland, Lausanne sits on the northern shores of Lake Geneva. While its Gothic roots and killer medieval architecture draws travellers that are into history and culture, the city’s hip, youthful vibe makes it resonate with all kinds of visitors. Many of the hotels in Lausanne, which range from the palatial to the family-run, have a strong wellness focus, as you’d expect in Switzerland – a land of fresh Alpine air, crystal lakes and soundless pine forests.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This gigantic “grand hotel” opened in 1915 during the Belle Époque and has evolved organically in tandem with the city, offering the most modern conveniences and interiors in a supremely palatial setting. The hotel has a grand total of seven restaurants and bars, including Brasserie Grand-Chêne which serves high-end French cuisine, Sushi Zen Palace for fresh, butter-soft sushi and Yogi Booster for veggies and health-oriented guests. The spa comes equipped with a swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, hammam and relaxation areas, plus there’s a wide range of lavish rooms and suites with either a city view or lake view.
Regarded as one of the leading hotels in the world, the Beau-Rivage Palace opened in the 1860s and has seen much history in its time – without ever losing its reputation for the utmost luxury. A 10-minute drive from Lausanne city centre, in a serene spot on the shores of Lake Geneva, this wellness-focused property has a sublime spa hosted by Cinq Mondes of Paris. You’ll get access to two heated swimming pools, a yoga and meditation studio, consultations focusing on naturopathy (an individually tailored, natural health practice), a hammam, sauna, ice cellar and ice fountain. The staff at the huge fitness centre, which overlooks the lake, offer personal training sessions. Feeling revitalised yet?
This ancient building has its roots in the medieval age. The oldest structure within Château d’Ouchy is a striking tower, which dates all the way back to 1177. The rest of the historic hotel was built up around the tower in a complementary, neo-Gothic style, over 100 years ago. Much of the hotel plays on this history, with the Riviera Suite and the Knights Suite fitted in decadent, medieval-style opulence. There’s on-site dining at 57° Grill, which prepares meats and seafood of the highest quality in a laid-back evening environment. It’s a classy ending to days spent wandering between the sauna or hammam to the outdoor pool surrounded by ancient trees.
This charming, intimate-feeling hotel in Lausanne is spread across five 18th-century buildings and a contemporary reception area. Its calm, cosy rooms have elegantly decorated, sophisticated interiors that overlook the lake or the gardens. Plus, there’s a sizeable outdoor swimming pool ideal for getting in those lengths – when you’re not resting in the English-style country garden. The hotel provides bicycles, as well as an electric boat, for excursions on the lake.
This concept hotel lives within Lausanne’s CHUV hospital, offering 111 rooms, most of which overlook the lake and the Alps. Guests include tourists and business travellers, the families of patients and, of course, the hospital patients themselves, recuperating in a relaxing environment. The light and subtle decor of the interiors – serene pastels and greys – creates a peaceful and nurturing atmosphere throughout the bedrooms as well as the Restaurant Mill’Feuilles, which serves healthy and nutritious fare, as you’d expect from a medicinal establishment.
This buzzy, vibrant outing from the Marriott feels more like a boutique hotel than one of the large chain’s venues. Retro interiors, nodding to all things youthful and fun, pop with sprinkles of electric pink and bright neon. The whole place has a palpable creative energy thanks to its location in the hip Lausanne neighbourhood of Le Flon, where nightclubs and bars will keep you busy after hours. The 113 swanky rooms are designed with streaming in mind, fitted with huge TVs and cushions. Feel like making friends? Head to the recreation area full of games and a foosball table. Even the gym is awash with explosions of colour.
Part of Aquatis, the largest aquarium in Europe, the Aquatis Hotel has 143 modern rooms decorated around the theme of water (of course). As parents and kids make up the majority of the Aquatis Aquarium visitors and hotel guests, the family experience is at the heart of this hotel – so learning and leisure go hand in hand. After your aquatic explorations, you’ll be well fed at either the Aquatis Restaurant for slow dining, or Piranha, which serves quick, child-friendly snacks along the lines of pizza and burgers. It’s also super convenient, taking only 10 minutes to drive into the city centre.
You’ll find this cute boutique hotel in the heart of downtown Lausanne. In a quiet pedestrian area just a few minutes from the train station, it’s also just 10 minutes down to the lake. It’s a family-run establishment, offering all the home comforts with an individual twist. As the recently renovated, 19th-century townhouse is respectful to its roots, the bedrooms are decked out in exposed wood and beams, alongside contemporary design. Don’t miss the tasty continental breakfast and take advantage of the free public transport that’s included in your stay – just ask the staff for a travel pass.
Want to extend your Swiss holiday? Book one of the best hotels in Montreux with Culture Trip – it’s only a 30-minute drive away. Alternatively, try the best hotels in Grindelwald for every traveller, the best hotels in nearby Zermatt or one of the best in Grindelwald; each city is just a two-hour drive from Lausanne.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.