The Bank Hotel, in Central Stockholm, sits next to Nybroviken Harbour. It mixes muted art deco design with the heritage of the original 1910 structure. A stay here, in a room or suite with plush, velvety furniture, keeps you in the metropolitan core of the Swedish capital. When the bars close, take advantage of the in-room bartender service, or perhaps opt for the Lazy Breakfast & Bubbles (for late risers) at the weekend.
If looking for class and storied history, the Berns Hotel fits the bill. Opened in 1863, this venue has hosted renowned greats like Marlene Dietrich. Travellers on a budget can choose a Cosy Essential room, or if you’d like to treat yourself, grab a premium suite with a personal jacuzzi. In fact, why not splurge and book the Dietrich “secret” room (with a vista over Berzelii Park) where the star herself stayed. Sauna, steam and massage sessions will melt your stress way before or after you explore Stockholm.
If you have some burrowing hobbit DNA in you, this hotel might be the hidey-hole for you. Modern-day amenities, like in-room audio-visual gear, are featured – the only notable exception being that all of the rooms are below ground, without windows. Stay here if you want to be in the heart of Stockholm during the day but want absolute quiet at night. This hotel is perfect for people who take sleep seriously — or perhaps are dealing with a spot of vampirism.
Love France? The Sparrow, in Stockholm’s Östermalm District, has been draped with French inspired decor and stocked with the country’s famous wine. Groups should book a larger suite, such as La Chambre de Joséphine, or else opt for a deluxe room, still with plenty of living space, but nothing over the top. Try the Norwegian lobster (with lemon and mayonnaise) or the steak au poivre at The Sparrow Bistro & Wine Bar, before exploring this decidedly Swedish city.
Freys Hotel is a family-owned hotel, owned by one of the oldest transport companies in Sweden. It takes it name from a successful endurance racing horse from 1895. Inside, you’ll find traditional opulent suites, just five minutes from Stockholm Central Station. During the summer, enjoy the healthy breakfast buffet outside on the terrace or recline at the hotel’s popular Belgobaren, which boasts nearly 300 Belgian beers. Come winter, there’s a communal sauna to warm up in after a day sightseeing.
Housed in the PUB building right on Hötorget Square, this boutique hotel brings the roaring 1920s into the modern day. The building was converted from a department store, becoming one of Scandic’s most popular hotels. This is a classy hotel with stylish decor: blending art nouveau and contemporary design. Hit the third-floor gym or borrow a bicycle from the hotel to explore the city. Enjoy a craft cocktail at the award-winning Americain bar come nightfall.
There’s always something going on at this industrial-chic hotel – whether its a live gig or a yoga retreat. Unlike other hotels in Stockholm, the bed is in the centre of the room, offering expansive city views, as well as extra large showers and Bluetooth speakers. Don’t miss breakfast at the Hobo’s restaurant, which serves organic, seasonable food, many of which are vegetarian.
A stay at the Miss Clara Hotel offers a retro vibe with contemporary feel. Once a girls’ school from 1910, award-winning architect Gert Wingård harnessed its art nouveau style – and transformed it into a hotel. Solo travellers on a budget can opt for the snug single room, while suites sleep up to two people in super-soft Egyptian cotton bed linen. Miss Clara’s verdant terrace is the place to sip your morning coffee in the summer. Stay for brunch, complete with New York-style waffles and milkshakes.
This small boutique hotel is housed in a fabulous historical building, tucked away by the National Museum on the waterfront at Blasieholmshamnen. Its proximity to the Modern Museum of Art is evident in the contemporary art display and styled interiors. Expect high-end luxury rooms with a friendly ambience. You’ll also have access to the Nordic Spa next door in the Grand Hotel, complete with a pool, steam room, sauna, hydro-massage pool and, of course, a traditional Swedish massage therapist.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Carl Pettit contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.