The business world is ablaze with talk about Spotify. The Swedish streaming service, which has become popular all over the world, is about to take its place on the stock market, giving people an idea of just how big it is. Since it first appeared on computers in 2008, Spotify has changed the way we listen to music and the way artists interact with their fans. As a service from Sweden, it has an excellent catalogue of Swedish music ranging from artists with worldwide followings to up-and-coming stars and artists adored in Sweden but little known outside of Scandinavia’s biggest counties. Here are 10 Swedish artists to listen to on Spotify.
Arguably Sweden’s most popular current artist, Zara Larsson has managed to hit the mainstream while seemingly remaining the cool and down-to-earth person who first hit the charts back in 2013 at the tender age of 15. She first became famous in Sweden after winning Talang, the Swedish version of ‘Got Talent’ in 2008 at the age of 10. Unlike other talent-show winners, she can be remembered for more than just winning a TV show and has won a number of Grammis (Sweden’s biggest musical awards) for her ability to make interesting and well-developed pop music.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Known across the world for their wonderful pop music, which, for many, first came to their attention during the Eurovision song contest. In those days, winning Eurovision was the kind of thing that could launch careers into the stratosphere, and the fact ABBA won made them European and then global stars. Reports vary about how many records the group sold, but it is in the hundreds of millions. They are still one of the most famous things about Sweden and die-hard fans are still hoping for a reunion.
A real up-and-coming star of Swedish music, comfortable writing and recording in both Swedish and English, though the majority of her music is in English. She recently featured on the New York Times list of ‘10 Songs You Need to Hear’ and she has won a number of awards in Sweden. She was born in Stockholm, but her father was a very successful artist in the Gambia and this has added to her wide range of influences. Her beautiful brand of soul-pop is well worth listening to.
Despite singing almost exclusively in Swedish, Dungen has managed to have an incredible influence on the music world. Both Tame Impala and Fleet Foxes have cited the group as influences. Dungen has managed to play festivals across the world despite people in many countries being unable to understand their lyrics. They make beautifully crafted psych-rock, which can easily be listened to even if you don’t understand the words. They were even featured on Late Night with Conan O’Brien – such is their influence.
Hakan Hellstrom might not be a name that many non-Swedes recognise, however within Sweden, he is one of the most popular and universally loved musicians ever. His tours across the country are always sold out and he draws massive crowds. He is particularly associated with his home city of Gothenburg and when Coldplay came to the city, they covered one of his songs, to huge cheers from the crowd. He even had a film made that was set to his music about growing up in Gothenburg.
Imam is a Swedish rapper and is part of a collective alongside another Swedish hip-hop musician Erik Lundin and rapper Cherrie. Silvana is hugely talented and has made several excellent records. She was born in Lithuania to a Lithuanian mother and Syrian father before moving to Sweden. You can hear the melding of cultures and influences in her music. She performs in Swedish but her flow and music are worth listening to, even if you cannot understand the lyrics.
Tove Lo makes pop music, but it isn’t your classic happy, run-of-the-mill pop music. It is much more multi-faceted and darker than the classic chart-topping hits of today. She has supported a number of massive artists, including Coldplay, Katy Perry and Maroon 5. Rolling Stone magazine once famously dubbed her, “Sweden’s darkest pop export,” while Out magazine called her, “the world’s most brutally honest pop star.” This is because a great deal of her work is autobiographical and covers themes ranging from having her heart broken to making mistakes.
Swedes have something they like to call “Schlager” music. It’s the kind of cheesy music that everyone pretends to hate but deep down they secretly love. It is music which, when put on at parties, everyone sings along to and often cannot wait to hear. Carola is a great example of this kind of music, and her debut album is one of the highest selling albums in the history of Swedish music. She, like Abba, became famous to the world in winning Eurovision but never quite managed to have the same levels of success as them. She is, though, beloved throughout Sweden and many Swedes know every word of her most popular songs.
Often seen as Sweden’s premier rocker, Thastrom has managed to stay popular and relevant for over 40 years and has taken the well-trodden path from energetic and confident upstart to elder statesman. He is best known for his stints in two Swedish bands, Ebba Gron and Imperiet, but his solo career has also been very impressive. He has recorded both in Swedish and English and sounds great in both.
Cherrie is one of the most exciting and freshest Swedish artists and is taking the charts by storm. She has even managed to secure collaborations with some very exciting performers. She currently sings solely in Swedish but that didn’t stop Stormzy from working with her. The two got together to work on the same track and made “Aldrig Igen” which means “never again”. In an interview with radar radio, she noted that she does plan on making a whole project in English but for now, it is worth checking out her excellent Swedish stuff.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.