The Swedish furniture giant IKEA is turning 75 in 2018 and to celebrate it’s rolling out new releases of its iconic pieces from the past six decades.
The limited-edition items will be on sale over the next five months, kicking off in August with its vintage collection, Gratulera, which celebrates IKEA’s best-loved pieces from the mid-century era, including its reimagined Lövbacken table.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“The new Re-imagined Classics collection is to be kept and looked after in the home forever,” says Clotilde Passalacqua from IKEA UK. “The products within the collection were favourites when they were first introduced and IKEA is showing that these designs are still current now, decades after they were first created.”
October will bring the Memphis Group-inspired 1970s and 1980s collection, with its playful designs and bold colours. Their reintroduction is timely with the demand for Postmodernist-influenced design on the rise.
December’s collection has a more pared-back and minimalist look, with a fusion of untreated, blonde Scandinavian woods and graphic patterns perfect for the winter season.
“During the ’90s, we went for a more natural expression,” said Karin Gustavsson, IKEA’s creative leader, in a statement. “I think the sculptural furniture of Thomas Sandell is iconic. The small bench with wheels on one end and legs on the other was a design piece desired by so many people at that time.”
Here are the top picks from the Re-imagined Classics collection
1. The Knäsjö floor lamp
This mid-century light was launched in 1958 as Trinett and hailed as super modern for the time. The design remains just as relevant today but it’s been given an eco-conscious update with LED bulbs that consume 85% less energy than incandescent fittings.
2. Ganget armchair
IKEA celebrated the opening of its first store in Älmhult, Sweden, by launching this handmade design in 1958. Wicker indoor/outdoor furniture is having its moment right now so this is a perfectly on-trend piece that’s affordable and a future investment.
3. Lövbacken table
This distinctive three-legged, leaf-shaped table is one of IKEA’s most iconic designs of all time. The 1956 Lövet design was IKEA’s first ever flat-pack item, with detachable beech legs and gold-coloured feet. The flat-pack concept was actually an accident: IKEA designer Gillis Lundgren couldn’t fit the table in his car for delivery so he sawed off the legs. The design was reintroduced to IKEA’s collection in 2013 as the Lövbacken side table.
4. Klippan sofa
IKEA worked with Dutch designers Stefan Scholten and Carole Baijings to bring this cushiony sofa bang up to date with trendy primary blue and red hues, paying tribute to the Memphis Group. “I just love the covers that are like puffy jackets – they’re cool and colourful,” said Gustavsson. “The Klippan sofa was one of the first affordable sofas we had to offer, which is why it’s an icon of its time.”
5. Mosaikblad cushion cover
Whether you’re into Postmodernist design or not, the cheery po-mo-inspired cushion designs are great statement pieces for a quick room revamp.
Read more on IKEA’s founder, Ingvar Kamprad, and how he brought affordable and stylish furniture design to the masses.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.